13: Phil

At 5'oclock I coax Hazel into taking a hot bath, then help her change into a pair of black leggings and a warm skin sweater before letting her go back to sleep in her room.

I go back to my own bedroom and scrutinize my dress options. Since I already wore the navy blue one, I decide on a baby pink dress. After taking a shower, I curl my hair and then change into the dress. I'm doing my make up when Daniel enters the room, back from his meeting,

"You look gorgeous." He says, bending down to my height as I'm seated on a stool in front of the mirror and kisses my cheek. My eyes meet his in the mirror and the look on his face makes my heart melt, I smile at him as he kisses my cheek again before going into the bathroom to change.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm seated on the bed's edge, bent over as I close the clasps of my heels. Daniel steps out wearing a navy blue checked sweater but I can see the baby pink collar of the shirt, beneath it. Smiling, I straighten up.

"It's seven. We should go down now." He says, checking his watch.

"Let me get Hazel." I say, walking to her room with him in tow.

"Bunny." I call out, switching on the lights, before shaking her. "Bunny, wake up."

She blinks at me and then falls back asleep.

"Hazel!"

She refuses to wake up so a few minutes later, I turn to Daniel who picks up our sleeping daughter and I lead the way down to the restaurant. We are seated and Daniel hands me Hazel who cuddles into me, still sleeping while he takes the seat next to mine.

After about five minutes of waiting, I hear Tess's familiar voice behind me.

Daniel stands up to greet them while Tess bends down and hugs me, then touches Hazel's cheek.

"How is she now?" She asks.

"Much better, but still sick." I reply, sighing.

Tess and the boy who I finally pay attention to sit down across from us. He looks like a jolly person.

"This is Phil. Phil, this is my older sister, Emma and her husband, Daniel and that's Hazel, my niece." Hazel introduces us.

"Nice to meet you, Phil." Daniel says.

"No, the pleasure is all mine. I was eager to meet Tess's family. I must say I've seen her mother's pictures and her daughters are as beautiful as her."

"Aww Phil!" Tess coos.

Daniel winks at me, making me blush scarlet red, I busy myself in stroking Hazel's hair as I smile to myself.

I clear my throat. "So, how did you two meet?"

"Well, Tess and I live in the same dormitory building, so our paths crossed often and a few months ago, I mustered up the courage and asked her out to a party. I was scared as hell because I knew that she'd rejected almost every guy on campus. But by some miracle she accepted me and...that's how it happened."

They smile at each other and I feel happy for my sister.

A waiter comes to take our orders and we order an extra plate of Fries for Hazel. We talk, till the food arrives and soon after Hazel wakes up.

"Mommy?" She asks, probably disoriented by her surroundings.

"I'm here Bunny." I say, taking her hand.

"Aunt Tess?"

"Hey Hazel." She smiles at her niece and stretches out a hand for her to shake,

"Do you want to sit up and have some Fries?" I ask her and when she nods, I help her onto a chair between mine and Tess's, then tuck a napkin into her sweater's neck before setting the plate before her.

Daniel and Phil discuss the latest market trends, the economy, things I don't understand.

"You have quiet an understanding of this." Daniel remarks.

Phil nods. "That's because of my father."

"Nice." Daniel says as Hazel reaches for me. I lift her back onto my lap and she cuddles up to me, awake but looking drowsy.

An hour later we're in the hotel lobby with Hazel still clinging on to me.

"You have to come visit soon." I tell Tess.

"I will if you come to my graduation." She says.

"Deal." I smile at her, turning my attention to the men.

"It was a pleasure to meet you two." Phil says.

"Pleasure to meet you too." Daniel says, shaking his hand.

They leave the hotel and we return to our suite. I change Hazel's clothes and tuck her into bed, making sure she's warm.

"Phil seemed like a nice guy." I comment as Daniel gets into bed next to me.

"Yeah. He did." He agrees, as I slide over to his side, so that I have my head on his shoulder and his arms around my waist.

We lie next to each other for a few minutes till Daniel shifts his head, so that he's looking at me.

"I love you."

"I love you." I whisper back, pulling him in for a kiss.

I would really appreciate feedback. Even one word would matter a lot to me.

Please comment!! :))

-T