23: I'll Never Forget You

A little ray of sunlight coming in through the blinds wakes me up. I blink and roll over to find Daniel still in bed next to me. This means it is Sunday. I quietly get out of bed and pad over to the window to adjust the blinds, so that they don't disturb my husband.

I tip toe to the bathroom, brush my teeth, splash water on my face and pull my hair into a ponytail before going to downstairs to the kitchen. The servants are bustling around, doing their chores. I get myself a mug of coffee and walk out onto the patio.

Vanessa runs out after me and whines at me to play with her. I pet her for a few minutes before she gives up and waddles back into the house through the open doors.

I cross my legs and turn on my phone. There are a few messages from my friends, planning a girl's day out. I reply to them and then check my email for pending emails. I'm scrolling through the birthday pictures Elana sent me.

Suddenly, arms wrap around me and I squeal, seconds later I feel lips on my neck. I close my eyes at the touch and touch his hair. He moves to face me and pulls me up from the chair.

He wraps his arms around my waist and I place one on his shoulder and the other against his cheek. I bend backwards slightly, completely supported by his arms as his lips meet mine.

"Emma." He says, his voice telling me how much he loves me.

I smile at him. "Yes, Daniel?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I pull him to me and kiss him. We are lost in each other's touch when someone clears his throat.

"Dad!" I exclaim, pulling away as Daniel runs a hand through his hair and then puts his hands into his trouser pockets.

"Well..." He trails off.

"Hmm?" I ask, still overwhelmed by the kiss.

"I'm happy to see that you two still love each other as much as you did when you first met." He makes me blush and look down.

"Thank you for loving my daughter as much as she deserves to me loved." Dad says, thumping Daniel on the back.

He walks back into the house leaving us alone.

I look up at him to find him already smiling at me.

I throw myself into his arms and he murmurs into my neck. "Anything for you."

"Your mother and I used to bake all the time when she was little." Mom is telling Hazel as we eat breakfast.

"Really?" Hazel asks, looking at me for confirmation, so I nod my head.

Mom sighs. "But then she grew up, moved to America for college, then got married and had you. Forgetting all about us."

"Mom!" I groan.

"It's the truth." She points her fork at me.

"The first part, yes. The part about forgetting you, no. Never." I tell her, as she takes my hand in hers.

"I'll never forget you, mommy." Hazel screams running over to me and hugging me. I lift her onto my lap and she cuddles into me.

"I won't forget you either, Bunny." I kiss her cheek and smile at her.