86: Swimming Championship

For the first time I'm awake before the alarm even rang. I could barely sleep last night thinking of today. Today is the first set of swim matches of the Under 10s State Championship. We have to be there by 1 p.m. and the contest begins at 2:30.

I check the other side of the bed to find it empty. I frown at this because Daniel promised to stay home with us for today. Something must have come up at the office.

I throw back the covers and head into the bathroom. Twenty minutes later, I'm in Hazel's room. She is already awake, lying in bed with Vanessa tucked under an arm.

"Morning Bunny." I kiss her head.

"When will we go?" She asks siting up.

"You're going to shower, change, have breakfast and then we'll leave." I tell her. She hops out of bed and walks to the bathroom. I help her shower and then change into a shirt and skirt. Then I send her downstairs to give Vanessa her first breakfast while I get ready too.

I choose a plain shirt and jeans to keep me comfortable during the drive and while we're at the pool.

I'm more nervous that I have ever been before for any of Hazel's swimming matches. Today there will be children even five years older than her, these children will be from all over the state of California.

I take a minute to calm myself down before walking downstairs to find Hazel.

"Hazel?" I call out from the living room and she answers from the kitchen.

"What are you-?" I trail off as I take in the kitchen counter.

Daniel stands at the stove in an apron, flipping pancakes on the stove.

"I can't believe my eyes." I say, "Daniel Aaron is cooking!"

"It's Bunny's special day! Of course I was going to do something different." Hazel claps in glee as Daniel flips a pancake in the air and barely manages to catch it in the pan.

"Don't push your luck." I laugh and pick up the plate he has taken out to the dining room.

After a filling breakfast of pancakes and coffee for me and apple juice for Hazel, we put Hazel's required belongings in the car and start towards UCLA where the matches will be held.

The hour long drive passes quickly, filled with nervous chatter from both Hazel and me. Daniel tries his best to keep us both calm but when we near the university's pool, we all fall silent as we take in the streamers and rows of cars in the parking.

"I'll drop you both off at the entrance so that you can find Mr. Elliot while I find parking space." Daniel suggest.

I agree, "Okay."

Hazel shrugs on her bag pack which has her swimming costume and other necessities. I help her out of the car and then take her hand as we head towards the check in table. I pull up the email that Mr. Elliot sent me last week and show it to the lady at the table. She hands me a form to fill out.

It's just basic biodata so I quickly fill it in and hand it back to her. She hands me Hazel's number and a card to get me into the changing rooms.

Ushers are scattered all over the pool premises, probably UCLA students since they're wearing the university's t-shirts. One of them guides me towards the changing rooms and showers. When we get there, I find Hazel an empty stall where she showers and then changes into her swim suit.

I neatly stow all her things back into her bag and then help her put on her swimming cap and goggles. As she does so I look around and notice that most children are near ages eight or nine which is a quite a few years on Hazel.