31: Job Offer

It's been two days since I found out about David's work problems. Since then Daniel hasn't mentioned it and I've chosen to ignore it as well. Hazel's in the swimming pool at our house. I'm lounging on one of the deck chairs with Vanessa on the one next to mine when my phone starts to ring.

I reach over and grab it from near my foot. It's an unknown number. I frown trying to remember if I've had a call from this number before and can't come up with any connections. In the end I shrug and answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Is this Emma Aaron?" A male voice asks from the other end.

"Who is this?" I ask, sounding formal.

"My name is Hamish Hamlet. I am a director at Alan and co. public relations." He says.

The moment he says 'public relations' I sit up. "I'm sorry but why are you calling?"

"We are aware that you are an architect, correct?" He asks.

"With all due respect sir, I insist that you tell me why you're calling." I strain against confusion.

"I wish to offer you a job." He simply states.

"I'm sorry?" I say, dumbfounded.

"A former client of ours suggested you as a perfect option. You helped in the decision made by Aaron Limited about their Paris offices. Would you be willing to pay our office a visit..."

I cut in. "How did you get my number?"

"If you work for us, we are willing to pay you $70,000 per plan and we need about ten plans sketched up. What do you say?"

"I think you have the wrong person." I start but he says, "Emma Aaron. Architecture degree from Duke University. Isn't this you?"

"Who gave you my number?" I ask again, hoping for an answer.

"Until next time, Emma." He says, ending the call.

I stare at my phone, mouth hanging open.

"Hey!" I hear Daniel's voice call out. I look up to see him coming out of the glass doors at the back of the house. "Is everything okay?" He asks when he sees my face.

"You won't believe who I just got off the phone with." I gulp.

"Who?" He asks, sitting down next to me.

I look at him. "Hamish Hamlet. Director at Alan and co."

"Alan and co.?" Daniel asks. "As in the public relations firm?"

I nod, trying to judge his reaction but his face remains blank.

"Did he say why he was calling?" He asks.

"To offer me a job." I say quietly.

Silence follows that stretches for a long time before Daniel slowly looks at me again. "A director called from one of my company's biggest competitors and offered you a job?"

I nod, "Have you made the Paris information public yet?"

"No, why?" He says, making my heart beat faster.

"Promise me you'll listen till the end before flying off the handle."

"What?"

"Promise me! Because I know you will." I insist.

He sighs. "Okay fine, go on."

"I asked him two times how he got my number and both times he ignored me. Plus, he knew about the Paris plans and he wanted me to sketch ten plans for him. Are they hacking your information?"

Daniel's looking at me, stricken. He unlocks his phone and calls someone.

"Jeremy, I need you and one of the company's lawyers at the house immediately."

"When did he call?" Daniel asks once he's off the phone call.

"Right before you got here." I answer, worried for my husband. "Do you think they know that I'm your wife?"

"They have our Paris plans, your phone number, and your name so they know that you're an Aaron. They definitely know."

I start to panic. "What are you going to do about this?"

He senses my worry and takes my phone from me before putting an arm around my shoulders. I lean my head against his chest and take deep breaths with my eyes closed.

"I'm going to have a short meeting at home. We might have dinner as well, I'll let chef know what we'll be having. You on the other hand are going to take some time to yourself and relax. A lot has been going on lately and with Hazel's school choice and household chores, you need some time off."

"But who is going to...?" I start but Daniel stops me. "I'll have one of the helpers take care of Hazel for the evening."

"But what will I do? I won't be able to take my mind off things anyways." I sit up to look at him.

He thinks for a second before grinning at me. "How about a spa day?"

Spas have always been my weakness. At university most of my money was spent on spa treatments to get a break from academic life. I smile at my husband because he remembers even the smallest details about me and I love him for it.

"I think I'll do that." I tell him.

"Great!" He smiles back at me. "Hazel, housework and my problems will be taken care of while you're away so just relax. Promise me?"

"Promise." I nod, kissing his cheek.