96: Official Portrait

I find Daniel in our bedroom, dressed in a suit, sitting at the desk going over some papers.

"Daniel?" I ask from the doorway.

He looks up, "Yes?"

"I need to talk to you about something." I say.

He instantly closes the file and walks over to join me as I sit down on the edge of the bed.

"What do you want to talk about?" He asks.

I look at him and place a hand on his cheek, "Daniel, I love being a stay at home mom, I spend time with my children and they have me anytime that they need me but lately I've just been thinking about it and a few days ago it hit me."

"What are you saying?" Daniel asks.

I let my hand fall to his shoulder and say, "The few days that I spent going in for you at Aaron Limited office made me realize just how much I missed working for a purpose. And just last week PERKINS + WILLIS contacted to let me know that they're eager to have me back, not just as a consultant architect but as a regional head. It was a sign that it was what my life had been lacking."

Unexpectedly Daniel presses his lips to mine and I barely brace myself with an arm, keeping us both from tumbling backwards onto the bed. I press a hand to his cheek as I deepen the kiss. When we pull away, he presses his forehead to mine.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He asks.

I shake my head, "I didn't even know if this is what I wanted. I mean, it'll be hard to be away from the kids but Hazel is already in school and Sebastian isn't even awake half the day."

Daniel laughs at this and sits back slightly to look at me, "You have my support."

I mock scoff and flip back my hair, "I wasn't asking for permission. I was just informing you that I may not be around all day."

"Oh really now?" Daniel smirks as he pulls me into another kiss.

"Mommy...oh!" Hazel comes to a halt outside the bedroom and when I look at her there's a wide grin on her face as she takes us in.

"What is it, Bunny?" I ask her.

"Everything's ready." She informs us before running off.

"When do you start?" Daniel asks as we stand up from the bed and he straightens his suits as I run a hand over my dress and the other through my blow-dried hair.

"Monday. So in two days." I reply, "I'm really excited to go back to work. I wonder how different their Pasadena office is from the one in New Haven."

"You'll find out soon enough." Daniel kisses my forehead then takes my hand as we walk out of the room and to the library.

Hazel is already there with the camera crew. With Aaron Limited expanding, Hazel's new title as the youngest child to hold the title of National Under 10s Swimming Champion and now me going back to work, the media has been pestering us for an official family portrait and today we decided to get it over with. We chose private photographers and Aaron Limited's PR department will be responsible for handing it over to whoever needs it in the press.

After making sure that everything is ready I head to Sebastian's nursery to find my four month old son on his stomach, struggling to roll back over. I laugh at the sight and lift him out of his crib. I straighten his white romper and take him back to the library.

We wanted a regal but warm family picture. So while the backdrop is black, the divan in front is a warm brown color. Hazel sits between Daniel and me with Vanessa sitting patiently in her arms. Sebastian on the other hand wriggles and refuses to sit still.

At first Daniel tries holding him then I take him and soothe him down before one perfect picture is finally taken.

The photographer shows us the picture and while it's posed, it's very candid in its own way. The way Hazel has tightened her arms around Vanessa or how Sebastian's hand is wrapped around my wrist or the way Daniel's arm is casually wrapped around my waist as he pulls us all closer.

"This is perfect. Thank you." I tell the photographer as they hand over the USB to Daniel and then Jeremy runs a quick check of their systems to make sure they've cleared all data. Then Jeremy leaves with them to make the payment and then head home since it's the weekend.

Once everyone has left we all change out of our formal attires and into more comfortable clothes. We decide to order pizza for a late lunch and watch a movie together.

"Narnia!" Hazel announces.

"Bunny, you've seen it so many times this summer. Something else please?" I suggest.

"But Narnia is so fun!" She announces, drawing our movie conversation to an end as we put it on and settle down to watch it.

In case anyone is confused. It's August now, so they're home from France and yes, Hazel won her title! :)

Also, I don't remember writing this short a chapter in a LONG time.

-T