67: Second Time

"Hey! We just landed in Pasadena." I tell Daniel when he answers the call.

"How was your flight?" He asks.

"Smooth." I reply, hoping that he hears the calm in my voice that I'm forcing myself to maintain.

"That's great. I'll see you at home for lunch." He says and then adds, "I'll pick up Hazel from school. You must be tired from the traveling."

I sigh, "A little."

"Go home and rest." He requests me.

"I will. See you in a couple of hours." We say goodbye and he ends the call. I heave a sigh of relief and place a hand on my fiercely thumping heart as I walk out of the airport to meet the driver waiting for me.

Once in the car I instruct the driver to head for the hospital where I made an appointment with my most trusted gynecologist. We spent Sunday in Miami too to make sure that the deal came through smoothly and if they needed anyone at a moment's notice, we would be available. While this meant good things for Daniel and his work, I was dying to get back home and visit my doctor.

As we drive towards the hospital I think about the last two days. No one but I know that I may be pregnant. Just the thought send shivers down my spine. This was supposed to impossible for my body.

When we reach the hospital, the driver drops me off at the entrance before taking the car away. Taking a deep breath, I walk into the building and seek out the reception desk.

"Hi! Do you have an appointment?" The nurse at the desk asks.

I nod, "Yes, with Dr. Ana Singh."

"One moment please." The nurse tells me as she picks up the phone. I take the free moment to look around the hospital lobby.

"She'll see you now." The nurse says, making me turn back to her. "Room 4 on the first floor."

I thank her before heading for the elevator and press the button to call it. The room is easy to locate so I knock and wait for a reply.

When I hear a muffled 'come in' from inside I push the door open to come face to face with Dr. Ana Singh, or Ana as I refer to her.

"Emma!" She exclaims, standing up to hug me.

"Ana! Thank you so much for fitting me into your busy schedule." I tell her as she shows me to a chair in front of her desk.

"Nonsense! You are a priority patient." She smiles at me.

Ana is in her mid-fifties and she's the doctor who looked after me during my pregnancy with Hazel which was full of complications then Hazel's birth and all other matters in the four years in between till now. She's come to be a dear friend.

"Well. What brings you here?" Ana asks, sitting down in her own seat.

"I need to get an ultrasound done. I think I may be pregnant." I tell her.

Her mouth hangs open and she takes off her glasses to look at me. I understand her reaction since she's been through all my female anatomy related ups and downs with me.

"Are you sure?" She asks, slowly.

I shake my head as my eyes sting with tears that I'm forcing myself to control and suddenly my throat feels tight too. I wait a second and take a deep breath before replying.

"I've been in Miami for the past three days and there on instinct I took pregnancy tests. Two different companies for better results." I explain and she nods in understanding, "Both of them came out positive."