40: Hazel's Return

Daniel holds out his hand to me as I step out of the car at the red carpet for the second time tonight but this time it is empty because all the guests are seated inside the building, eagerly waiting for the reveal of Aaron Limited's latest expansion plan. The reveal that could lead to our daughter getting hurt.

My legs shake and my breathing is labored as I follow Daniel into a private meeting room and take a seat while Jeremy heads for the banquet hall to fetch Hamish. A few minutes pass before I feel Daniel take my hand, forcing me to peal my eyes off the door and look at him.

"She's okay." He reminds me, putting his other arm over my shoulders and holding me close to him.

The door opens and Jeremy walks in followed by a smug Hamish. We both stay quiet as the two men take a seat across the table from us.

"Well, it seems we finally managed to get your attention." Hamish smiles at us and it takes all my strength not to jump across the table and punch him in the face.

"Illegally, must I remind you?" Daniel says.

Hamish just smirks and meets each of our gaze one by one before asking, "So what's the verdict? Do you want your daughter or your Paris plan?"

"How do we know that you'll hand over Hazel, if we agree to this?" Jeremy asks.

"I will let you know of the location once I have your word." Hamish replies.

"You will have no word until you first tell us where she is!" I scream at him.

"Patience, Mrs. Aaron." His voice sends chills down my spine.

"Okay, you have my word that we won't reveal plan. Now what's the next step?" Daniel asks.

"I will let the administration know and you will receive a text soon with the location where you are supposed to meet us to sign the contract. And that's where you'll get Hazel back too." He tells us.

"Do we get to bring security?" Jeremy asks.

"Sure. But then expect us to be adequately prepared as well." He tells us, before leaving the table and walking out of the room.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim, bursting into tears again.

Daniel wraps an arm around me, speaking to Jeremy at the same time, "Get the team ready. I'll let you know when we receive the message."

I feel my phone vibrate in my lap. I look down at it before adding to the other two, "You won't have to wait for that."

I hold out the phone so that they can see the location for themselves.

An hour later we are in the parking lot that Hamish had sent me. Daniel and I are in his car with four security cars scattered around the lot and another car in which Jeremy and two of Daniel's most trusted lawyers wait.

After a few more minutes of waiting we see headlights in the distance and then six cars drive into the parking lot. We're all out of our cars in a flash.

Guards pour out of the cars in the back while some men that I don't recognize along with Hamish step out of the first one. He walks over to the second car and opens the back door. Annie steps out, making my temper boil over but the second Hazel steps out after her, my world comes crashing down around me. Hazel's face is tear-stained and the minute she sees us, she starts to run towards us but is stopped by Annie.

"Let her go! We're all right here!" I call out.

"The contract first." Hamish says walking over to Daniel with a file in hand.

Daniel waves over his lawyers and they get to work. My eyes stay on Hazel.I smile at her, reassuring her of my presence but she keeps sobbing, making my heart ache more than it ever has. After what seems like an eternity, the circle of men breaks away and Hamish nods at Annie who lets go of Hazel.

I step away from everyone and Hazel runs over and barrels into my arms. I lift her up and hold her as close to me as physically possible. I kiss her head when I realize that I'm also crying. Daniel steps up to us and asks Hazel if anyone hurt her. She's hiccupping by now but manages to shake her head and a sense of relief washes over my body. The other party leaves before us.

"Should I call a meeting tonight?" Jeremy asks as Daniel opens the car door for me.

He shakes his head and sighs, "Inform everyone that there will be a meeting first thing tomorrow morning."

"Okay." Jeremy nods, before turning to Hazel who is still in my arms. "Is there anything I can get you? McDonald's? A teddy bear?"

This makes her laugh and a small smile makes its way onto my face too.

Please don't forget to comment so that I know who my readers are and what you all think of the story, so far :)

Also, if you see any Author Notes at the end of any previous chapters from 2018, their from then because that's when I wrote that part of the story. I will finish it this summer.

Looking forward to your feedback :)

-T