88: Hair Day

The end of the third trimester has left me bed bound. I have to force myself to get out of bed every day to check on Hazel and Daniel. Daniel has taken over all Hazel and house responsibilities which is a relief for me. I only have to do chores that I feel up to doing. Everything else is taken care of.

It's a Saturday so Hazel is home. I'm lounging on the sofa with a cup of coffee while Hazel and Vanessa roll around on the floor, playing.

"Bunny, I think I'm going to get a haircut. Do you want to get one too?" I ask her.

"Yes!" She screams jumping to her feet.

"Okay, go put your shoes on and brush your hair." I tell her and she runs away obediently.

I spot a helper walking by with laundry, "Can you please ask the driver to bring around the car?"

Then I pad to my own room and slip on a pair of 'no lace' converse because bending over to tie my shoelaces is practically impossible with my belly in the way.

I find Hazel waiting for me in the foyer, all ready to head to out.

The hairdresser that I've come to prefer is only a fifteen minute drive away. I instruct the driver to park right outside the shop where we get off and walk inside.

"Emma!" My hairdresser calls out when she sees us. "Long time no see! And I see for a good reason."

"Yes. Pregnancy does take away one's grooming time." I laugh.

"And is little Hazel going to get her hair done too?" She asks Hazel who eagerly nods her head.

I let Hazel go first. I sit down in the chair next to hers as we discuss what she should do with her hair. She decides that she likes her shoulder hair length so we decide on a trim and then a nice blow dry.

When it's my turn, I explain my haircut and then wait for her to finish. An hour later we leave the hairdresser with fresh hair, feeling lovely.

"Can I get a donut?" She asks, pointing to the Dunkin Donuts a few shops away.

"Okay. Let's go." I take her hand and lead her to the store.

As I'm paying for the donut, I begin to feel light headed as if someone's cut off air circulation to my brain. I hurry Hazel back to the car and instruct the driver to take me to the hospital.

I call Daniel but his phone is switched off which means that he's in a meeting. I send him a message so that he can see it later.

When we get to the hospital I tell Hazel to stay with me as I explain my condition to a nurse in the Emergency Room. She immediately puts me on an oxygen tank but before she can finish telling me that she has contacted Dr. Ana, I pass out.

~Daniel's Perspective~

When we step out of the meeting, Jeremy heads off to take a call from his mother who kept sending in messages through his secretary. I retrieve my phone from my office and switch it on.

Not feeling well. Going to the hospital.

I try calling Emma but she doesn't answer instead Hazel does.

"Daddy?" I can tell from her voice she that's crying.

"Bunny where are you?" I ask her.

"Hospital." She hiccups.

"Is mommy with you?" I ask her.

She stops crying to answer me, "No."

"Okay, I'm on my way. Do not talk to any stranger." I tell her.

My heart is racing. Is Emma okay? She would never leave Hazel alone. Especially not in a hospital. The twenty minute drive is agony as I run through scenarios in my mind. When I stop the car in the hospital's parking, I spot the driver who must have brought Hazel and Emma here. I hand over the car to him and rush inside.

Hazel is nowhere to be seen.

"Can you please tell me if Emma Aaron is a patient here?" I ask the nurse at the front desk.

"Are you family?" She asks.

"I'm her husband." I say impatiently.

She checks the records on her computer and tells me, "She's in the ER."

I find Hazel first.

She's sitting alone outside the ER with Emma's phone in her hands. When she spots me, she jumps off the chair and runs to me. I lift her up and let her cry into my shoulder.

"It's alright, Bunny. I'm here." I soothe her.

I coax Hazel back into the chair she was sitting on and leave Emma's phone with her so that she can call me if she needs me.

I push the doors to the ER open and walk in. Emma is in a bed near the very end of the room and my heart sinks when I see Dr. Singh hovering over the machines connected to Emma's body.

"Dr. Singh?" I ask walking up to her.

"Daniel! Thank goodness you're here. I was just about to call you." Her voice is tense.

"Is Emma okay?" I ask.

Her answer makes my head spin.

"No. The baby is pressing down on her lungs which is why she barely made it to the hospital before going unconscious. We've attached her to oxygen but there's only so long she can survive on artificial air."

"What are you saying?" I ask her, my eyes still on Emma.

"We need to conduct a C Section by tomorrow. The baby according to the ultrasound reports is healthy enough to survive being born two weeks early but I cannot say how long Emma's body can withstand such a state."

"Will it be possible to wake her up before making the decision?" I ask.

Dr. Singh thankfully nods, "She's just unconscious. She'll come around in an hour or two and then you need to decide."

I ask the nurse to tell me when Emma wakes up and then I join Hazel outside.

She clambers into my lap and wraps her arm around my torso. "Is mommy okay?"

"She fine, Bunny. Just resting." I sigh and kiss her head.

~Emma's Perspective~

I've barely regained consciousness when both Daniel and Ana join me.

"How are you feeling?" Daniel asks me, kissing my head.

"Drowsy." I groan, reaching up to my forehead.

Daniel holds my hand as Ana explains everything. I feel my heart sinking and my face paling with every second. She then leaves us alone to decide.

I feel tears start to trickle down my cheeks, "I knew it was too good to be true."

Daniel pulls me into a hug as I cry into his shoulder. Once I regain some control over myself I pull away and say, "Hazel was born through a C Section so I was prepared for one this time too but just not so soon."

"Emma..." Daniel starts to speak but I cut in, "No. I have to do this or I might as well kill both of us."

"Are you sure?" He asks, holding my gaze.

I place a hand over his and nod, "I'm sure."

I'm posting the next two chapters too! :)

-T