79: Hazel's PTM

I take Hazel's hand as we walk into her school together. The school is closed for Christmas break but today it bustles with activity as it is the Parent-Teacher meeting day. I let Hazel lead the way to her classroom, stopping on the way to say hello to some of her friends and their parents.

It hurts me to see other children with both their parents but I will myself to stay strong for Hazel who has for the time being forgotten about the circumstances at home. She's the happiest that I have seen her in weeks as she meets her friends.

By the time we reach Hazel's classroom, most parents have already met with Miss Hannah and only a few mill around in the corridor outside waiting for their turn. I sit down on a bench to wait while Hazel walks over to her classmates to chat.

I watch her grab everyone's attention and from the way all the children eagerly listen to her and talk to her, I can already see the similarities between her and Tess. Where I was the quite one, Tess was the lively and outgoing sister. I smile to myself as I watch my daughter.

A few minutes later, Mia and Ben walk out as the next child and his parents walk in.

"Mia! Hi!" I call out when I see her.

"Emma! Hello!" She returns my greeting as we embrace.

"How are you Ben?" I ask, bending down to give him a hug.

"I'm well." He smiles and then turns to Hazel, "Thank you for your help with Math."

Hazel beams at this, "You're my friend."

Mia turns to me as the children walk back to their friends, "But really Hazel has been a huge help with Ben. I was worried that he would be all alone and left out but she hasn't only helped him socially but also academically. Ben failed almost all his initial Math tests but now he passes with good grades."

"I'm glad that she was of help." I tell her my heart beating with pride.

"Hazel's a lovely child." Mia tells me.

"Thank you." I smile at her.

We talk for a few more minutes before Mia and Ben say goodbye and leave. Not soon after, it's our turn to go in.

"Good morning, Hazel!" Miss Hannah smiles at her as we walk in and sit down in the chairs set up.

"Good morning." Hazel smiles at her teacher.

"Hello, Mrs. Aaron." The teacher holds out a hand which I shake.

"Thank you for having us." I say as she brushes me off telling me that it's her duty to overlook her student's progress reports.

She then hands me a school file with Hazel's name on it and instructs me to take a look at the first page. I tenderly open the file with Hazel looking over my arm to find a neat row of 'As' next to the subjects list.

"Hazel! Wow!" I gasp taking in the sheet of paper.

"This is remarkable! And the best result we have this year across all our kindergarten sections. Hazel is a star pupil." Miss Hannah informs me.

"Thank you so much for helping her along the way." I tell her.

"Please, it's all Hazel." Miss Hannah smiles at her student.

We discuss Hazel's class participation and relationship with other students which the teacher informs me are both worthy of praise before we wish Miss Hannah happy holidays and leave the classroom.

I pull Hazel away from the crowd and sit her down on bleachers that divide the academic buildings from the sports fields.

"Bunny, I'm so proud of you." I say, pulling her into a hug and kissing her head.

She looks up at me and smiles making my heart melt. I kiss her cheek and together we skim through the rest of her file which are all tests and assignments. While she concentrates on the file in her lap, I sneakily take a picture of her with my phone.

"Hazel!" I hear someone call out and look up to find Hazel's swim instructor walking towards us.

"Good morning, Mr. Elliot." Hazel cheerfully greets him.

"Good morning." I add as the instructor greets me back.

"I've heard that Hazel is a star pupil in class." He says, smiling at Hazel who is beaming with joy at all the praise she's receiving today.

I nod, "That's exactly what Miss Hannah told us."

"She's a star, inside the classroom and outside. Hazel's a fantastic swimmer and I cannot wait to see her bring home the first place trophy in this year's Under 10s State Championship." He tells me.

"Hazel is looking forward to it too." I say and Hazel eagerly nods in confirmation.

Mr. Elliot says goodbye to us and walks away. I pick up my purse off the bleachers and start to walk when Hazel tugs on my arm, bringing me to a halt.

"What is it, Bunny?" I ask her.

She looks flushed, "Can I tell you a secret?"

I nod and sit back down so that we're at the same level.

She leans in and whispers, "Me and my friends think that Mr. Elliot likes Miss Hannah."

I gape at her for a second before bursting out laughing, "Hazel!"

"What?" She says sheepishly.

"You are naughty children." I laugh and kiss her cheek but give her a little wink which makes her smile at the fact that I understand her.

We walk back to the school parking and as I buckle Hazel into her car seat, I suggest, "Ice cream to celebrate your amazing result?"

"Frozen yogurt!" She pleads and I kiss her cheek, "Okay."

I'm uploading this chapter at 10 p.m. because I had coffee for no reason at 8 p.m. I might post ANOTHER chapter before going to bed. Hope that you're enjoying the story! :)

-T