Chapter 17: Yandere

I kind of hoped Evelyn had drowned.
Too bad.
We made our way to the stables where Evelyn said the horses were being kept.
When we got there I can safely say I was underwhelmed.

The stables consisted of a large, grassy, shaded paddock with a small pond in one corner. A building that was obviously there for shade stood on one side with a few horses under it. An empty red barn stood with the doors wide open, there we found a bunch of new saddles, each with the name of a certain horse on it.
A little further away was another paddock, it looked a lot like the first one what with shade and grass and water and all that, but with one large difference, two mares were in there and each had a little foal at her side.
We immediately ran over and Oh'ed and Ah'ed at the tiny things.

There weren't any people around so we looked for something that could help us out.
We came across a chalkboard with an honesty box under it.
The chalkboard had writing on it that told people to use the correct assigned tack for the horses as to not cause them any harm or discomfort.
It also said that each hour is $10 per person.
I looked over some photos that were tacked to the board.
Each photo was a head shot of a certain horse with their name underneath.

Evelyn grabbed a lead rope and halter and jumped the fence, walking slowly towards the horses.

She reached a horse that was under the cover and gave him a quick rub and some love before putting on the halter and leading him out into the sun.

The horse she took was a dapple grey with a long white mane and tail and grey hooves.

She lead him out of the arena into the barn and tied the lead rope in what looked to us as a quite complicated knot.

"Grab your horses guys," she told us, "we have work to do."

When everyone developed an interest in their shoes, Evelyn's face dropped.

"You guys don't know what to do, do you?"

"No." Gold said.

"I do," Celeste said grappling a lead rope and halter.

She jumped the fence and took her time picking out a horse.

She came out leading a jet black horse with a white star on her forehead.

She tied her to the barn next to Evelyn's horse and walked to the chalkboard to figure out the name of her horse.

"Flicka," She said "that's a pretty name."

Evelyn laughed.

"You have no idea, her name literally means: "pretty girl."."

"Are horses dangerous?" I asked Evelyn, looking at the lazy silhouettes of the horses in the shade.

"That depends on what the horse has been through. Reckless owners, impatient children, things like that will shape how a horse behaves."

I slowly walked up to a horse and held out my hands.

The horse walked up to me slowly and looked me in the eyes. We held each other's gaze for a minute before the horse walked closer and put his head in my arms; looking for a head rub.

I held him and he stood even closer, my heart did a flip.

Why is this beautiful creature so comfortable around me? I wondered why does his love for me make me feel so..... appreciated and loved?

Evelyn rode up to me and smiled.

"What a sweet heart," she cooed "come on, the sooner we saddle up the sooner we leave."

We rode into the forest when Evelyn turned her horse to face us.

"Okay," she said "We can split up into groups and look around. We must not ditch our partners alright? I think some rain might be coming in, if they get spooked and run out from under someone, their partner is entirely responsible for helping them. Any serious injury's, you come to me immediately. Understand?"

We all nodded and got into our groups of two. Except for Alec , Evan and Kyran, they were saddled with each other.

We rode off in different directions in our little groups.

*

Celeste and I rode thought the woods, looking at the coconuts in palm trees and leaping over fallen logs.

Thunder began to rumble across the sky as we rode looking at nothing in particular.

Finally the first few drops of rain began to fall on our hands and faces.

"I love the rain." Celeste sighed.
She stuck out her tounge and lifted her head to the sky, grinning every time a raindrop hit her eyes or nose.

I copied her and we spent a few minutes drinking the rain.

As we continued riding, the rain got harder and sheets of fog rolled over the ground as everything around us got darker and thunder got louder.

"We should ride to the meeting area," I reasoned "it can't be safe for us to be riding in a storm like this."

Celeste agreed and we started walking back to the clearing where we split up.

The wind picked up and blew in our faces as we rode. The wind blew the rain drops into our faces and they stung like freezing bullets, so we put our arms in front of our faces to shelter ourselves.

It wasn't long before we got lost.

"Oh just brilliant!" I cried "now we're lost!"

"WHAAAAAT?!" Celeste yelled.

"WE'RE LOST!" I shouted over the rain.

"DO YOU KNOW THE WAY BACK?!"

"WHAAAAAT?!"

We stuck together and rode, occasionally yelling over the rain but mostly squinting through the fog as our hair whipped around our heads.

When we finally ran into a group, it was the last trio I wanted to be stuck with.

"I BLAME YOU FOR THIS, EVAN!!"
Alec yelled.

"ME?! I CAN'T CONTROL THE WEATHER!!"

"NOT THE RAIN! FOR GETTING US LOST!!"

"HEY GENIUS, NOT SURE IF YOU REMEMBER, BUT IT WAS YOUR IDEA TO GO THIS WAY!!!"

"SHUT UP! BOTH OF YOU!" Kyran yelled.

Celeste let out a ear piercing whistle that got their attention.

"OI! SHUT UP AND LISTEN! IF YOU TWO ARE FINISHED WITH YOUR TEA PARTY, I SUGEST YOU WORK WITH US TO GET BACK TO THE MEETING AREA!"

And with that we spun our horses around and continued to look for the clearing, this time, with three others in tow.