Chapter 20: Evan

When I came upon Ally, Funneh and Gold in the woods, I completely lost my "cool dude" act and panicked.

"Ally?" I asked.

She turned to me and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Evan! Thank goodness! Hurry! Get help! Funneh and Gold, they just collapsed! And now they're not breathing! Go! Find the others! Evelyn's already on her way!"

I swallowed hard.

"Yeah. Yeah. Ok ok ok. Find help! Got it!"

Then I turned to face the direction I came from and promptly ran into a tree.

"Ow. How long has that tree been there? Oh yeah right! Find help! Go go go!"

Leaping over fallen logs and beating around bushes, I finally came to the clearing where Celeste, Yandere and Alec were standing.

Celeste asked me if I had seen a snake while peeing and I went straight to the point.

"What?!" Alec cried.

"We have to help them!" Celeste yelled.

"Evan, where are they?"

I gasped for air and pointed behind me.

"That way."

"Right," Yandere said "Celeste, you take the horses back. Evan, lead us to them. Alec, see if you can call an ambulance or something."

"Rodger that." Celeste said.

Then she took the horses and rode off to the stable.

"Calling right now." Alec reported, staring down at his phone.

"Evan," Yandere repeated "where are they?"

"Come." I said.

We turned into the woods and made our way to the others as quickly as possible.

When we finally got to the clearing, Evelyn, Ally and Kyran were hunched over Funneh and Gold and carrying out Evelyn's instructions.

Evelyn turned to look at us and noticed Alec's phone.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Calling an ambulance, duh."

"Duh. I've already tried, there's no reception out here."

"Are they breathing?" Celeste asked.

Evelyn shook her head.

"They take a breath every thirty seconds, on the dot. Enough to keep them alive, but they aren't responsive."

"Evelyn!" Kyran yelled.

"What?"

"They were meant to take a breath ten seconds ago, they're not breathing again!"

Evelyn cried out some unladylike words that would get her mouth washed out with soap.

"Alec, grab Funneh. Kyran, you get Gold. Evan, Celeste and Yandere, you make a reliable path back to the main road. Ally, you stay here with me and help get them breathing again."