Chapter 18: Ally

The rain stung our faces as we made our way through the woods, trying to find the others.
"SHOULDN'T WE GO TO THE MEETING AREA?!" Evelyn yelled over the rain.
"NO," I yelled back "THE OTHERS CAN'T FIND THEIR WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG WITHOUT HELP, AND IF THEY GET HURT THEN I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO FORGIVE MYSELF."

"WE SHOULD AT LEAST GET OFF THE HORSES!" Evelyn yelled "RIDING IN THIS WEATHER IS DANGEROUS!"

We slipped out of the saddles and led our horses through the rain as we searched for any sign of our friends through the violent storm.

Coming to a fork in the road, we noticed a few branches had been snapped and plants trampled, as if a large animal had made it's way through.

Evelyn looked at me and before I could say anything, plunged into the newly made "pathway".

I followed soon after, slapping branches out of my face and stepping over logs.

Before long, we came face to face with two horses.

Judging by the saddles and reigns, the horses were from the stable.

Evelyn recognised them immediately and panicked.

"Those horses... Gold and Funneh were riding those horses!"

I looked around wildly, but Funneh and Gold were nowhere to be seen.

The rain had thankfully died down a considerable amount so we could hear each other and see more than two meters in front of us.

I tied my horse to a tree and under Evelyn's strict instructions, split up to look for them.

I went left, Evelyn went right.

After crashing through the woods for a bit and getting scratched up by stray twigs, I could roughly make out the hazy outline of two girls through the fog.

I sped up and continued making my way towards them but soon stopped in my tracks.

The two girls were indeed Funneh and Gold, they had their backs turned to me and were looking at a golden light. I squinted, trying to make out the image of what they where looking at.

A beautiful girl, around their age with pink eyes and pink hair that floated around her face. She was wearing a short, green skirt and a crimson blazer. Her face was soft and kind, she was smiling sadly at Funneh and Gold, as if she wanted to tell them something but they wouldn't understand, and at the same time, was trying to assure them that she's okay. Her feet where hovering over the ground and that's when I noticed that at first glance she looked completely solid, but if one were to look closer, they would see that she was slightly transparent.

She was talking softly to Funneh and Gold, but when she noticed me, she smiled sadly at them again. Spreading her arms, she floated slowly towards them, as if to give them a hug. But when she got to them, she melted into the air and blew a warm breeze towards me.

The heat dried my face and blew through my wet hair.

Funneh and Gold stood motionless and silent, as if the girl was still talking to them.

If you find them, Evelyn had told me, call me immediately.

I knew I should call out for Evelyn, but I needed to see if they were alright.

Cautiously I made my way towards them.

"Funneh?" I called "Gold?"

As I got closer they still showed no signs of movement.

I put my hand on Funneh's shoulder.
She spun around and grabbed my arms frantically and stared me in the eyes.

"The night!" She yelled, in a voice not her own. "She came in the night!"

She was looking at me but her eyes weren't focused, as if she was looking at something far away and I had stood in the way.

She shook me wildly, her eyes had turned a dark grey, as if the colour had been drained out of them.

Gold also spun around to look at me, much like Funneh, her eyes were a dark grey, but she didn't look as confused and panicked. She set her unfocused gaze on me and spoke in a voice that also did not belong to her.

"Please, be careful. She came to me in the night, who's to say she won't do the same to you," Gold looked down briefly before returning her gaze to me
"I'm sorry for seeing them like this, but I needed to talk the them."

"The fire!" Funneh yelled "She started it!"

"What are you talking about!" I yelled.

"The fire!" She insisted again.

And with that she and Gold promptly collapsed.