xxxiii || house of history

Eddie walked into the dining room the following morning. The scene that greeted him was Fleur serving up breakfast and Fabian and Joy playing a game of chess.

"Bishop to K6," Eddie joked, sitting down at the table.

"Exactly how big do you think a chess board is, Eddie?" Fabian looked to him.

"I've never really cared for chess," Eddie answered, "Why are you playing it anyway?"

Joy moved her knight to H3, [😉] "When I'm stressed or worried I play chess, so I dragged Fabian into playing it with me."

"Right... So, who's winning?" Eddie examined the board.

"It's not exactly a 'who's winning' game," Joy answered, "But Fabian has lost two more pieces than I have."

****

Patricia walked out of her room and was about to head downstairs, when something in Vincent's office caught her eye. On his wall hung a picture frame, the symbol for Euler's Constant on it and the long number below.

She walked closer to his office and peered through the window. She tried to be as careful and discrete as possible, as Vincent was sat in the office.

Vincent looked up from the book which he was reading. He caught sight of Patricia, even though she ducked. Immediately, he stood up and exited his office.

"What are you doing, Miss Williamson?" he towered over her.

Patricia paused for a second, so she could think of an excuse, "Uh, Looking for you, Vincent."

"And what is it that you need?"

"I need to know whether..." Patricia spoke slowly, elongating every word to give her time to think, "Whether the history day in compulsory?"

"Yes, it is. This day is worth 20% of your final grade," Vincent told her. He'd been told about the students trying to get out of the history day, so suspected something from Patricia's query.

"Okay," Patricia nodded, "I better get going," she added, before quickly hurrying down the stairs.

Patricia rushed into the dining room and flung herself upon a seat, before talking, "I'm pretty sure Victor is still evil," she stated without context.

Fabian, Eddie and Joy all turned to face her, they looked confused.

"I saw a picture in Vincent's office of that Euler symbol. It also had 0.57- blah, blah, blah below."

"So, Victor must have set Euler's Constant as the password, so Vincent would be able to guess it," Joy guessed.

"Do you think Vincent has been down the chasm?" Fabian asked.

"If he has, then he has definitely cracked the lock," Eddie spoke.

Patricia nodded, "What's with the chess?" she followed up, acknowledging the chess board.

"Anti-stress," Joy answered.

****

Everyone sat in their seats in history. There were multiple laptops on each table, along with textbooks and paper. Also, on Mr. Hevery's desk, there were glue and construction materials.

"Right," Mr. Hevery stated, starting the lesson, "You are going to be put into groups of 4, then each group will be given a different task. After an hour, you will switch tasks, then the last hour of the lesson will be a test," he explained.

There were a few groans around the class at the mention of a test.

"Okay, so they groups are; Jerome Clarke, Fabian Rutter, Patricia Williamson and Joy Mercer on laptop research, Nina Martin, Mara Jaffray, Lavender West and Edison Miller on construction..."