xlii || house of endings

Joy and Jerome both entered the Frobisher Library to see books scattered and thrown over the place, making it an absolute mess and almost impossible to walk around.

"Okay, I haven't been in here for years, but I'm pretty sure it never looked like this," Jerome stated, kicking a book out of his way.

"I was here a few days back and it didn't look like this. Vincent must have been in here looking for the book," Joy mumbled, as she scanned the library left to right with her eyes, "The question is, did he find it?"

"Maybe we should go back and check the house, before checking somewhere where the piece may not be," Jerome suggested.

Joy paused for a moment, thinking about what to do and where to check, "Uh, I'll call Fabian and see what his preference is."

Jerome nodded, while Joy pulled her phone out of her pocket and called Fabian.

****

Both Eddie and Fabian strolled around the school in search of something that matched the riddle. It was empty because it was 24th December and they weren't running classes so soon to Christmas.

"Hey, Joy," Fabian answered the phone, "Everything okay?"

"The library has been trashed. We are thinking that Vincent has been here and he may have found the Ankh Cross piece. Do you want us to still check here, or go back to the house and check through Vincent's belongings?"

Fabian paused briefly to think, "Go back to the house, Vincent isn't there," he then paused again, as he caught a glimpse of Vincent wandering the corridor, "because he's here!" he added in a rushed and panicked tone. He then ended the call and pulled Eddie against the wall.

"Ow, Dude!" Eddie exclaimed.

"Vincent. There. Corridor!" Fabian exclaimed in a nonfunctional sentence.

"Crap!" Eddie cussed under his breath, "Okay, quickly, hide," he then pushed Fabian through the door which led into the girls' bathroom, which, conveniently, they were standing right by.

Fabian exhaled, "Uh, Eddie, this is the girls' bathroom."

"Exactly," Eddie began, as he pulled himself up upon where the sinks sat, "No one else, but Vincent, is in this school, and I highly doubt he will come in the girls' bathroom."

Fabian nodded, "Okay. Good thinking," he then huffed and leant against the wall. "Wait! What is that?" he pointed toward the tile which the peeping hole was behind.

On the edge of the tile, there was a small corner of brown paper sticking out. Eddie looked behind him. He then carefully plied the tile open with his nails.

"There's a piece of paper rolled up in here," Eddie stated, before pulling it out. He then unrolled it and began to read the writing on it, "Ankh Cross piece - below the cross."

"What?" Fabian asked.

"The riddle," Eddie stated, "The hole. See all. It's this."

"Yes!" Fabian exclaimed, "So, below the cross? That's back down the chasm?"

"Well, I doubt it's in the school. Let's get out of here."

****

Jerome looked through Vincent's desk in his office, while Joy looked through other cabinets and concealable spaces.

On one of the cabinets that Joy was looking at was a padlock. A padlock with 4 digits, "Hey, Jerome? Do you think this will have anything in?"

Jerome glanced over at her, and analysed the size of the cabinet, "Probably," he then walked over to her grabbed hold of the lock, "Any ideas?"