Chapter ten

3 years later...

Adriana's POV

The sort of tranquility I've felt was something I thought was so underrated because up until three years ago, I've never felt this kind of peace in my entire life. No one really talks about this as much as they should, I always thought that people really didn't appreciate peace or kindness at all and I hated it. To say that my life has been a mess is an understatement but never have I ever wanted something more than just a normal and simple life.

Mafia free,

Dad free,

Stress free.

I lay on my back and stare at the ceiling as I take in the silence, the mornings was always my favourite because I always had time to myself to get ready for the day and it was like this ever since and I loved it. I get out of bed in my own accord and draw the curtain open before I head for the bathroom to freshen up. Once I reach the restroom, I stand in front of the mirror and stare at myself. I've never been so happy in a very long time, it was just so good to be true.

In fact, I've been happy for 3 years because I haven't encountered mafia men, guns and especially, Antonio and Destefano. To even admit the fact wasn't even enough for me because like I said, it was just too good to be true. I've spent five long years under Antonio's and Destefano's captivity and to finally get out of it, was just something I was desperate for, and to even think about it really just overwhelms me still to this day. It's unbelievable. However, I am still wary and cautious of who we speak to and tell them where we reside now.

A lot has happened in these three years, a lot of changes. The day I was discharged from that hospital after a long recovery, I moved away to New York deciding that I really need a fresh start. Of course mom came with me because I knew I couldn't leave her behind after what she has done for me. She had in fact nearly sacrificed everything for me just so I could live an ordinary life again.

In these three years, I've managed to learn a lot again. Mom taught me a lot of her culture as well as her native tongue and I was also able to study a little in midwifery, something I've always dreamt of doing before Destefano snatched it away from me. I've become more independent compared to how I was before and I was so glad that I am myself again, before I met Antonio however, I could never deny the fact that I am still mentally not right, I was traumatised and I knew I need help.

After that very day, I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and was seen by a therapist right away. Ever since that day, I have been speaking to my therapist three times a week and to be honest, he helps me here and then. I used to see my therapist everyday back then but since things have slightly improved, it had been cut down to three times a week. Matt helps me a lot in fact, he talks me through my emotions and explains to me why I feel the way I feel and always assures me that I will be fine. I believe him... but the one that really sets me back is the fear that settles upon me of having a feeling that he might just appear behind me.

Antonio was immediately arrested on the scene the day he tried to kill me and was supposed to go on trial. Later that year, he went on trial and was found guilty of attempted murder, grievous bodily harm, abuse, sexual abuse and more and was sentenced on multiple charges which meant that he was not going to get out of jail at all. When I heard of this, I thought I was living a dream because when I used to live with him, I never thought Antonio would get caught with things like this because he was very proficient with his dirty work. He always used to get away with everything he did. Mom and I was so happy when he was spending time in jail all up and till last year when he escaped.