Chapter sixty one

Adriana's POV

My eyes shot open as sweat tricked down my forehead; what time was it?

I slightly turn to see my surroundings and find that Dante was sleeping besides me while Ilaria was in her small cushion that was placed between us. I turned over to my right and caught Ilaria wide awake. I place my hand on her tiny stomach and as soon as I did, Ilaria cooed and began to wave her limbs around.

I watched Ilaria for a brief second and contemplate the ways to keep her safe, there was no way we were going to just sit back and watch while we wait for something to happen. Dante has many informants about Destefano but doesn't really tend to them because he doesn't want that attention. He does not want Destefano's attention as it would only put us in danger. As long as Destefano was not here, we were fine.

Even though a small part of me wants to know where he is and where he has been all these years, I always try to stay away. I dismiss those thoughts and feeling immediately because I understood how dangerous it is for me and my daughter.

"Are you okay?"

My thoughts were cut short when Dante's croaky voice interrupted me; I glance up and find him facing me as he rubbed his eyes. When I didn't answer, he sat up and switched on his lamp. For some reason, I didn't feel well so I stood up and stretched a little.

"Yeah... I'm fine. Ilaria needs to be changed and fed but before I do that, I'm going to use the restroom."

"Okay Gattina." He croaked again before he settled his attention on Ilaria who was, for some reason, very loud at this time of the night.

I walked away to the restroom feeling a very unsettling burn spread across my chest. When I reached the restroom, I stood in front of the mirror and watched my reflection as silence filled my ears.

Truth was after witnessing the events of today, I couldn't help but feel so threatened.

I used the restroom and washed my hands and waited for a couple of moments to compose myself as I didn't to show Dante any signs of fear or worry. Thinking of him, I anticipated him to fall right back to sleep.

But as I walked out, I saw Dante attempting to change Ilaria's diaper but in his sleep. He was naked from the waist and top while he had her baby gro on his shoulder. Both his hands were on either sides of his hips as it looked like he was figuring out what to do. I almost nearly laughed but stopped as I wanted to see more. I could see Ilaria's feet waving around as she whimpered and cooed.

It was at this moment that I felt like all my worries had lifted from my shoulders because this just reminded me of what I have and will have forever. All I wanted to do right now was tell Dante how much I appreciate him for giving me everything I wanted. I wanted to tell him endlessly and love him so much until it hurt, but even if it did hurt I wouldn't care.

I stifled a laugh when Dante cursed under his breath as he scratched the back of his head. I was wrong to think that Dante didn't hear me because when I laughed, Dante glanced over his shoulder and his face dropped.

"Do you want me to do it?"

"Sì per favore." He said sheepishly,

I took Ilaria's clothes off him and began to dress her while she fretted. Even though I had already slept, I was so tired and so was my baby so I decided to feed her and then try and get some more sleep.

Once she was dressed, I grab her and pull her towards my chest as I sat down on my side of the bed. However, before I could get to the bed Dante reach there before me. When I glanced at him, he gave me a side-ways smirk, even in his sleepy form.