A Year Apart

» September 1, 1982«
10:30 a.m.

"Just run straight into the wall," Bill tells Charlie as the two push their carts in front of them, "and don't slow down or stop at all,"

"But what if i-"

"You'll be fine," Bill interrupts his brother before looking around and running, full sprint, towards the wall between platforms 9 and 10.

"C'mon, Charlie, you can do this," Athena reassures her best friend, who looks back at her then back at the wall, "Just do what Bill did,"

Charlie nods and runs towards the wall at a sprint. Soon, Athena and Mrs Weasley appear behind him.

Athena looks up in awe at the train that waits for everyone to board. She takes a hold of Mrs Weasley's hand so she didn't get lost in the crowd.

"Do you both have everything?" Mrs Weasley asks her sons, who nod. Bill looks around for his friends while Charlie, like Athena, seems fascinated by the train.

The train's whistle blows, signaling that the train will leave soon, "Alright, hugs, boys," Mrs Weasley says and Bill reluctantly gives his mother a hug before running off to catch up with his friends.

Charlie gives his mother a hug, looking nervous, but that feeling leaves when he looks at Athena, who smiles up at him, "You will write, yes?" She asks and he smiles.

"I will," he replies but that isn't enough for her.

"You promise?" She asks and he laughs.

"I promise," he says, crossing his heart. The train whistle blows again and Charlie turns and bolts towards the nearest entrance to the train.

He stops and looks back at his mother and best friend, who smile and wave at him. He waves before climbing onto the train. He finds an empty compartment and enters it and immediately goes to the window just add the train starts to move.

He opens the window and waves at the two again. He watches as Athena runs down the walk, following the train while waving at him. She stops at the end of the platform and he watches as she disappears.

Athena watches the train leave, sad that she won't see him until next summer. She ignores everyone else who are heading towards the exit. She wishes she could join Charlie at Hogwarts, but she can't go to the magical school for another two years.

"C'mon, dear," Mrs Weasley says, appearing behind the 9 year old girl, "We better head back home,"

» December 20, 1982«
12:00 p.m.

"Athena, please calm down, I'm trying to focus," Percy says from his spot at the kitchen table, trying to block out Athena's constant questions as to when Charlie and Bill will be arriving.

"Why are you reading a book about spells?" She asks, crossing her arms and putting her weight on her right hip, "You won't know how our be able to cast them for another four years,"

"The early bird gets the worm, Athena," Percy replies in a dull tone, ignoring the bit of attitude she gave him.

"Well, sometimes, slow and steady wins the race," she counters with a triumphant tone and Percy sighs from his spot, deciding against continuing the argument.

The door leading into the kitchen opens and Athena bolts into the kitchen, hugging her best friend.

"Hey there," Charlie says, taken aback by the hug, "I missed you too," he adds with a chuckle, accepting the hug.

"How's Hogwarts?" She asks, stepping back, "Are there really ghosts there? Are you allowed to use magic? What's the Sorting like?-"

"Athena, for the love of Merlin, shut up," Percy snaps, causing Athena and Charlie to both glare at him.