The Sorting

»September 1, 1985«
10:30 a.m.

Athena stares at the wall, butterflies flying around in her stomach. For the past two years, she has constantly been excited to attend Hogwarts and she listened to Charlie's stories about the wizarding school.

"You'll be fine," Charlie says from behind her, leaning forward on the handle of his cart, "just run at the wall like you've always done,"

Athena nods and sprints at the wall. Soon she hears the familiar hustle and bustle of parents as they help their child go to the right area.

She barely gets out of the way when Charlie appears behind her with Mrs Weasley, Percy, and the twins behind him. The twins look in awe at the train while Percy merely shrugs with a bored expression, but Athena swears she seen him smile for a second.

Athena dodges several witches and wizards on her journey towards the train. The train whistle blows, causing some people to freeze momentarily before rushing to hug their child or children.

"Alright you three, behave when you're there," Mrs Weasley says, looking at Bill, Charlie, and Athena, who nod in unison.

"I don't want to recieve any letters of you misbehaving," she continues sternly before smiling, "oh, cone here! I'm going to miss you three so much!"

She steps forward and hugs them. Well, except Bill, who slips away quickly and disappears into the crowd. Charlie and Athena, however, are both being hugged by Mrs Weasley.

"Okay, mum," Charlie says, annoyed slightly, "we gotta go!" Mrs Wesley nods and lets them go almost reluctantly.

"Have fun you two!" She calls and watches the pair disappear onto the train.

Athena finally manages to find an empty compartment after five minutes of searching and slides the door open. She sits down and the calico cat she bought with her own money settles itself in her lap.

She watches the landscape as the train flies past, wondering which of the four houses she will be placed in. This causes more butterflies in her stomach.

She looks over at the door when it slides in and smiles when she sees the familiar redhead she calls her best friend.

"Aren't your friends going to miss you?" She asks as he sits down on the seat across from her. He shakes his head, glancing out the window.

"Nah, they have each other to entertain themselves," he says, looking back at her, "and you're in here by yourself, I thought you would like some company,"

Athena smiles, "thank you," she says and pauses, thinking about what to ask him, "we're you nervous?" She asks and sees the confusion in his eyes, "on your first year?"

He nods, understanding what she is asking and he shrugs, "a little bit. But everyone in my class was also," he replies, "the only part worth being nervous about is the Sorting, but that also isn't too bad, you just sit there,"

"What if I'm in Slytherin?" She asks and he blinks in momentary shock. Slytherin has a bad reputation and he reckons maybe Bill or Percy told her of that.

"It'll be fine, Athena," Charlie says with a smile, "whatever house you're in, you'll still be my best friend,"

2:15 p.m.

"Anything from the trolley?" An elderly woman asks, sliding the door to their compartment open and Charlie immediately stands, grabbing a few coins from his pocket.

He looks down at Athena to see her looking at the window, gently letting the cat asleep on her lap, "hey," he says softly, catching her attention, "Are you getting anything?" He asks and she shakes her head.