POOFLESS IS LIEF

A/N: This is a one-shot about how Preston and Rob got together in our story, The Rooftop. Go read that too!

-M

Rob's P.O.V:

"Preston?" I yawned, as the door opened, light streaming into the dark room. I was slumped over the edge of the bed, trying to reach for my phone.

"Rob," Preston leaned awkwardly against the door frame, "I thought you would be sleeping," He said, his figure covered in shadows.

"It is-" I was blinded from the brightness of my phone, "3 am, Preston!" I scolded, Preston smirking at me as he stepped into the room, "What's up?"

"It's really cold in my room, so I came in to borrow some blankets, I didn't mean to wake you up," Preston explained, walking over to my closet, rummaging through it. "Rob?" Preston asked, walking back to me, an object in his hand, staring at it curiously.

"What is it?" I asked, reaching for the little black box.

"Is this a ring?" Preston inquired, pulling out a simple gold band from the box. He sat on the edge of my bed.

I scratched the back of my neck sheepishly, "Yeah," I answered, I thought I lost that thing years ago.

Preston smiled, "Is it for someone special you haven't told me about?" He winked at me, laughing.

"I'm still single Preston," I sighed, swinging my legs onto the floor, walking back over to my closet, grabbing a woolen blanket for Preston.

"Are you okay?" He asked, walking over to me, resting his hand comfortingly on my shoulder.

"Eh," I shrugged, "I don't know why I have that thing," I gestured to the ring, handing him the blanket. I yawned again, trying to send Preston a message.

He followed me as I sat back down on my bed, "Do you want to talk?" He asked, smiling halfheartedly.

"About?" I prompted, hooking up my phone back onto its charger.B

"I need advice," Preston laid back onto my bed, throwing his slippers against the wall.

"About?" I said again, Preston started to lean on me, his hand on my arm.

"Well," He started, "I play this game, and my friend never records with me," He smiled at me, and I got the joke instantly.

"Like the whole Merome situation?" I laughed, pulling my comforter around me, giving Preston an amused look.

"Yeah, so how do I convince them to hang out with me?" Preston nudged my arm with his elbow, winking at me.

"Why don't you ask?" I smirked, ruffling his brown hair. He sat up, pulling me off my bed, and walked me into the middle of my room.

"Ok, Rob," He looked at me expectantly, getting down on one knee, and opening my little black box, "Will you hang out with me?" He held out my ring to me, trying very hard not to laugh.

"Fine, if you insist," I burst out laughing, accepting the ring, putting it in my pocket.

"Wow Rob, you're not even going to wear it?" Preston shook his head, pursing his lips.

"Of course not, it would look much better on you," I smiled, slipping the ring onto Preston's right hand, seeing him blush lightly.

"Do I get to keep this?" Preston asked, his face getting a deeper red by the second.

"It is a promise ring Preston, duh," I explained, giving him a dumb look.

"What promise is it for?" Preston asked me, putting me on the spot.

Preston and I had a pretty complicated 'friendship', mostly consisting of courting, testing to see if we both liked each other. I think I was being pretty obvious with my feelings, but Preston is always paranoid about making a mistake.

"What do you want me to promise you?" I returned his question, grinning. Nice try, Preston.

"I'll sleep on it," Preston tactically avoided my question, and I started laughing to myself.

"Where?" I asked, raising an eyebrow in a suggestive way.

"Woah there buddy," Preston laughed nervously, "Thanks for the blanket but I'll see you tomorrow," He hugged me goodnight, and walked back to his room, shutting the door behind him.

I turned my lamp off, my mind restless after our conversation. I laid awake, wondering if I was correct about what Preston thought about me, and if so, what did that meant for us. Just as I was finally drifting off, the small creak of my door jarred me from my thoughts.

"Preston?" I groaned, reaching for my lamp light. I turned it on, to see Preston shivering in my doorway, my blanket around his body. He gave me a sheepish smile.

"Sorry?" He shivered, "My r-room is a free-ezer," His teeth chattering along with his body.

"It's okay," I laughed, "Come here," I patted the spot on the bed next to me. He ran over gratefully, curling up under my thick winter covers. He wrapped his arms around me, his hands freezing against my warm skin. I pulled him closer to me, feeling his breath on my collarbone.

I held him until his shivering died down. I could feel his heartbeat racing, and I'm pretty sure his cheeks were flushed as well.

"Promise me you will answer this question truthfully?" Preston spoke quietly, his face still buried in my covers and shoulder.

I didn't even hesitate, "I promise," I whispered, tilting his head up so I could look him in the eyes, "What's the question?"

"Are you in love with me, Rob?" Preston's voice was barely audible, my heart pounding loudly in my ears.

I rested my forehead on his, wishing I could hold him forever in this moment, "Yes," I whispered, and connected my lips to his in the kiss I would remember forever.