FRIENDS?

Ariel was in a good mood. It seemed like it was the first time this had happened for a while. After she had finished the exhilarating car race, she had gotten a call from Peter. He had apologized for the unknown and convinced Ariel to go on a date with him in the coming days. Despite the danger of the matter, Ariel couldn't say no. She'd missed him and as much as she didn't, she was totally enamored in the mysterious older man.

The fact that Derek had taken up her offer only made her smile brighter. The Tupperware container of enchiladas she had left in the basement refrigerator was empty, completely cleaned. The blanket and pillow were back where she had placed them the night before but she could smell that Derek had used them.

She had decided she trusted him a few days ago. He had the same goal as her. He had just experienced the worst life could give him and was bitter. Ariel understood that. Hell if someone killed her family, she'd probably massacre the perpetrators!

However, Ariels good mood was no match against the strawberry blonde fashionista that was Lydia Martin. It's not like she hated her. In fact, she connected pretty well with Lydia. Ariel liked to think that she could see a little bit below the painted veneer of the girls shell. As much as it pained Ariel to sound like her mother- she was disappointed in Lydia.

Scott had a reason. On the full moon, he wasn't in the right state of mind. He was taken over by weird wolf instincts. And that, in Ariels mind, made kissing Lydia almost excusable. Apparently the day of the full moon while Ariel had been suffering through a detention, Scott and Lydia had made out in the coaches office, like every other high school couple ever. Why Finstock didn't lock his door was questionable. That didn't make it any better, the thought that they were probably punished with a ton of germs from lunch time romps past.

No, Scott was excusable. Lydia was not. Ariel got why she did it. Jackson was straying a little bit too far in Allison's direction and she was threatened. So she established her dominance by making out with one half of the still very much in love Scallison.

It was the sharp, calculated power plays that disappointed Ariel. She thought that Lydia was better than that, the constant race for popularity no matter the consequences. Apparently, she wasn't.

"Nice shoes." Ariel raised a brow. Lydia stood next to her, plump lips pursed in a tight smile. There was no way in hell Lydia liked her shoes. In place of her favorite converses-which had yet to be replaced after Derek vomited on them- Ariel wore a pair of ratty white vans. They had sharpie doodles all over the front, in the shapes of flowers, penises (courtesy of a very immature Stiles) and one fail of an attempt on sponge bob. Ariel was many things, but artist was not one of them.

"Good one." She snorted, closing her locker and facing Lydia. "What are you going to tell me next? Elephants are actually mice in disguise?"

Lydia was not appreciative of Ariels sarcasm. "I guess that's why no one compliments you." She sniffed.

"What do you what Lydia?" Ariel laughed. "I have history in like a minute."

"I want-" Lydia took a deep breath, like she was preparing to tell someone their mother died. "I want a friend."

"I-" the other girl paused, the statement sinking in. "Me? You want me as a friend?"

"Well don't say it so loud." Lydia hissed.

"Sorry, Lyds, I don't need any friends that will make out with my ex boyfriend." Ariel snarked. As much as Lydias declaration shocked her, Lydia had made it clear she wasn't a very good friend. Plus, if this was some power ploy to get Scott to play a game or whatever, Ariel wasn't going to partake in it whatsoever. "Now, I need to get to history." She turned to leave, when a small fist grabbed her denim jacket.

"I'm not even going to ask how you found out about that." Lydia spoke quietly, like she didn't want anyone to hear what she was about to say. "But- I don't think Jackson likes me anymore. He's been really distant and then what happened with Allison- I just- I made a mistake. I shouldn't have kissed Scott, I know but I felt like that was all I could do. I just feel so powerless all of the time. Even the guy that I'm dating doesn't even like me anymore and I love him so much but I can't even do anything about it because I'm so damn scared." Lydia looked extremely uncomfortable as she blurted out her feelings to Ariel.

"Ly-"

"No, just listen." Lydia breathed. "You're strong, okay? I'm not. That night in the school you knew what to do, you stood up for me even when we were being chased by Derek. I was a ball of nerves and I was useless, but you made sure I was okay. And I just wanted to say thank you."

"I- you're welcome, Lydia." Ariel let a smile break out. Lydia had just let a layer of her shell shatter, and she had done it for Ariel. It made her feel important that she had helped Lydia, that she had done something of importance to the girl. "That's really nice of you."

"Don't get used to it." The tell tale Lydia Martin smirk was back as she straightened her back. A prim hand reached out and brushed down the collar of Ariels jacket and she winked. "Tell anyone about this and I'll destroy your life."

Lydia Martin walked off in a cloud of vanilla perfume and Ariel McCall smiled.

A friendship had just been formed.