DR DEATON THE LEGEND

The room was 80 degrees but Ariel McCall was shivering.

She sat curled up in a corner, her robe wrapped tightly around her. It was late at night and she was clad in her pajamas, warm sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt. Her hair was still wet from the countless showers she'd taken.

Ariel couldn't wash his smell off her body.

"Would you like me to get you a chair?" Ariel wasn't sure if she'd rather Deaton turn out to be the alpha or Peter. Either way, she was glad that at that moment, Deaton wasn't the alpha. The man was shady, that was for sure. When he'd called her in the depths of the night, she wasn't sure what to expect.

For him to say her brother had been shot by hunters was not on her mental list.

"I'm fine here." Her voice came out soft and Deaton nodded. He didn't know her very well, but she was the alphas mate. He knew not to make her angry but also to not broach the subject. The ways her eyes had flashed when he mentioned the Hale house had affirmed his beliefs that she was not a happy mate.

Ariels eyes strayed over to her brother. He was laying motionless on a metal lab table, looking everypart a corpse. If not for the subtle beating of his heart, she may have believed he was.

It was her fault. She had gone on the date with Peter. Scott had saved her but he hadn't stopped there. He went after Derek. And now he lay in a vet clinic, his body fighting the poisonous wolf bane bullets.

Ariel stood up shakily. She ignored her appearance as she passed a reflective tray, knowing full well she looked every part the distraught teenager she was. Scott's hand was warm when she gripped it in her own. It subconsciously clenched around her fingers and a watery smile grew on her face.

"You two are close." It wasn't a question.

"Yes." Ariel turned to Deaton. He stood near the sink, eyes surveying the scene before him with the sheen of a doctor. "He and my mom are my only family. He's never left my side. I left his."

"This isn't your fault, Ariel." Dragon had kind eyes. They were the type to force you to shed every barrier because you thought it felt right. "Scott went there on his own."

"But it was because of me." Ariel shook head. "He was trying to protect me."

"I think we can agree Scott tries to protect everyone. If not for you, he would have done it for someone else. He saved Jackson Whittemore." Deatons words did little to soothe her. He looked at her expectantly, like he was waiting for her to agree with him. She couldn't.

Suddenly, Scott lurched upwards, his back arching as he sucked in deep breaths of air. Ariel almost cried in relief as his eyes shot open. He was alive.

"Welcome back to the land of the conscious. You doing okay?" Deaton moved to his side. Scott looked at him with wide eyes, then down at his healed stomach. He was confused with the sudden change in the vet, from clueless to operating on werewolves. Scott sat up, looking over to Ariel.

"I'm sorry." She smiled sadly, pulling him into a hug. Scott squeezed back gladly, happy that his sister was okay. That she was responsive.

"Not your fault." Scott winced as he shifted.

"Maybe you should sit down, huh?" Deaton smiled kindly. It slipped off of his face as the familiar chime of the opening door sounded in the clinic. Ariel grew pale as the scent filled her nose. Scott tightened his grip around her, knowing exactly who it was. "Hello?" Deaton called out. There was no reply and he motioned for the two Mccalls to stay as he walked into the lobby. They didn't need any direction, huddling into each other's arms as terror filled them.

Peter.

"I'm sorry but we're-" Deaton paused. "We're closed." His voice took on an edge as he no doubt saw the person in the lobby. Ariel imagined his face falling and mourned for the kind man. There was no doubt Peter would kill him. She wanted to go out there and defend Deaton but every nerve in her body kept her as far away from her mate as possible.

"Hi there. I'm here to pick up." Dread filled Ariels body as Peters voice carried into the back room. Scott and his sister shared a scared look, backing into a corner, clinging tightly on to each other's hands. Ariel closed her eyes tightly, trying to avoid the sound of her mate.

"I'm not sure I remember you dropping off." Deatons voice was steady, with a hard edge and Ariel wondered how he hadn't begun to cry yet.

"These two wandered in on their own."

"Even if they did, I'm afraid I can't help you- we're closed." The doctors voice was hard.

"Well I think you can make an exception this one time. Don't you?" Peters friendly tone was still there, but with a threatening undertone. It was one Ariel knew all too well.

"I'm sorry. That's not going to be possible." Ariel was really starting to get some respect for that man. Deaton was proving to have a spine of steel. "Maybe you could come back during regular hours."

"You have something of mine." All friendliness was gone now. "I'm here to collect it." A shiver ran through her spine and Ariel pressed herself further into Scott. Her brother clutched her tightly, hating how Peter affected his strong older sister.

"Like I said. We're closed." Deaton spoke harshly. There was a slight pause and the sound of something hard being scraped against wood.

"Mountain ash." Peter was angry now. "That's an old one." All of a sudden, the sound of something being thrown, hard, and then something shattering into pieces reverberated around the clinic. Ariel flinched.

"Let me be as clear as possible. We. Are. Closed." Deaton growled. Ariel sighed in relief as footsteps sounded leaving the clinic, but Scotts tense shoulders kept her on edge. The familiar sound of Peters voice filled her ears and Ariel realized he wouldn't let it go.

"There are others who can help me get what I want, my little betas. More innocent- and far more vulnerable."

"Allison"

"Stiles."

The twins stomachs dropped in sync, the familiar feeling of terror seeping through their bodies. Peter held so much power over them both and they knew resisting was futile.

But as they clutched onto one another, the McCalls knew they would resist until they breathed their last breaths.