DRESSES, DATES, AND DECISIONS

"What the hell is wrong with you two?" Lydia frowned deeply,

"Nothings wrong, I just- I have a lot on my mind." Allison's breath was hitched, and even if Ariel didn't have supernatural hearing, she could tell the girl was lying. Lydia pursed her lips, accepting the answer begrudgingly before turning to Ariel and arching an eyebrow.

"Oh me?" She smiled sarcastically. "I just don't want to be here."

The Beacon county mall was huge. They had perused various girly shops for what felt like hours before Lydia had so graciously allowed Allison to suggest Macy's. Ariel had suggested they spent the whole day in the food court, but apparently no one heard her.

So instead she was sitting on the stairs of the escalator, her legs stretched out until they reached the two girls below her. Lydia was called her early in the morning and relayed her plans to shop for the formal. Ariel had told her to go back to hell and stop disrupting her sleep schedule.

Obviously, the girl hadn't taken her advice. After throwing a a dress at the mentally and emotionally exhausted Ariel, she had all but dragged her to her powder blue VW bug. It was a little awkwardto see Allison there as well, yet Lydia didn't care much her the state of her two friends anxiety. Allison and Ariel had hardly exchanged hellos and the uncomfortable tension between them was overpowering. brothers ex girlfriends are not exactly prime reality for friends.

"Well, unless you want to wear a trash bag to the formal, I suggest you spruce up." Lydia sniffed. "You look like you have a gun to your back."

"Id rather have a gun to my back. At least then I'd have a fighting chance." Lydia heard Ariel's mumble and sent her a spiteful glare. "You know what? I have an alternative! Something that will cheer us all up!"

Allison and Lydia looked up at her with raised eyebrows. Ariel sat up straighter, a wide smile on her face. "We just don't go to the dance!"

The winter formal had crept up on Ariel. It was a big school dance, and judging by how the female BHHS population acted, it was a red carpet event. If you'd asked Ariel a few months ago, she would have said she'd been excited to go drink spiked punch and dance like idiots with Stiles. Maybe she would have even brought Peter. Now, the Winter formal was a completely different story. There was literally no atom in Ariel Mccalls body that wanted to put on a pair of uncomfortable stilettos and grind in the school gymnasium, especially with Peter being a bloodthirsty and Derek being imprisoned.

"Funny." Lydia muttered drily, rolling her eyes exaggeratedly. "You two could smile, at least. Ever hear of the saying, 'Never frown, someone could be falling in love with your smile.'?"

"I think I have enough to worry about. I'll frown if I damn want to." Ariel jutted out her chin defiantly."

"Smile, Allison." Lydia ignored her, placing a hand on the brunettes arm. "I'm buying you a dress."

"Have to admit as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected." Allison begrudgingly smiled. Her eyes caught Ariel's for a moment before turning away and Ariel caught a hint of mischeviosness that made her like the Argent girl all the more.

"Excellent." Lydia smiled her famous smile, happy that she would be forgiven. Ariel stood up, excitedly watching Allison get her revenge.

"But not as much as I'm going to ask." Allison smiled cooly as they stepped of the escalator.

"What?" Lydias eyes widened and she immediately went on alert. "What's that supposed to mean?"