Chapter 13 - THE PHONE CALL

Jake had to keep asking, begging, to be allowed to contact his parents and let them know he was ''alright'' Of course, he was very far from alright, but when he spoke to them he was going to have to lie and pretend he was ok. He hadn't worked out how exactly he would explain why he had gone away and why it was that he wasn't coming back (for now anyway, he still hadn't given up on the hope of escaping from this someday)

He knew they would surely be frantic with worry, it had been months since he had vanished. He thought about them all the time, missed them, and worried himself sick over what they must be going through. They had lost a son too, just as Liam's parents had, but of course not in the same way.

Finally, Sir agreed to allow him to make the call, after what felt like months of endlessly asking and being fobbed off with ''yes later on'' or ''soon you can''

''You can make the call later tonight'' he told Jake earlier that morning

''You really mean it this time Sir, yeah?''

''Yes boy, this time I really mean it''

Evening time finally arrived and Jake had just finished his chores for the day. He was summoned to the study and Sir was waiting at his desk. Danny escorted him there

''I do not approve of this'' he told his father with the usual anger ''This little shit does not deserve such a favor!''

''I'm doing it for his parent's sake, not for his'' Sir replied

''Well I still don't agree with this, if it were up to me I would not allow it'' Danny ranted ''I'll wait outside until you've finished with this''

He left the room, leaving Jake and Sir alone

''Remember I will be standing here supervising the entire time'' he warned Jake ''you are not to say anything silly, you must give nothing away about the truth''

''I know Sir and I won't'' Jake promised him

Sir handed over a mobile phone. He went on to explain that he had decided to buy a cheap mobile for £10 and let Jake use it once. After that, he would be pulling it apart and throwing it down the nearest drain to get rid of it and completely avoid any way for the call to be traced back to their location. Jake, once again, had to secretly admire this man, his master, he was smart. He thought of everything. Jake wished he was half as smart as he was, maybe he wouldn't have gotten into this appalling situation in the first place then.

''I will allow you five minutes to talk to them'' Sir told him

''Is that all?'' Jake replied feeling heartbroken. He knew this was going to be the last time he spoke to them for a long time, and possibly ever again if these people got their way. ''I was hoping for a little longer to say goodbye''

''If you don't want it I can always change my mind and there won't be any call at all''

''No Sir I want it, I'm sorry I complained Sir''

''Ok, well get on with it now then''

''Yes Sir''

Jake began to dial the number for his parent's home, hoping that they hadn't changed the number. He thought it wouldn't be likely because they were probably hoping he would try and contact them by phone and he wouldn't be able to do that if he didn't know the number. He hoped that they would be home also. He wasn't sure how many times Sir would allow him to try making the call before he lost patience and refused to let him try anymore

Jake's luck was in, his mother answered the phone ''Hello?'; she said. It sounded to Jake like she had a hopeful sound in her voice like she wanted it to be him on the phone. Every time the phone rang, she probably answered it hoping it would be Jake calling