Chapter 22 - DANNY

Danny didn't understand it, couldn't quite explain why he was spending so much time away from the house lately, the malaise and sense of dread that had crept over him lately like a dark cloud and it wouldn't go away. He just didn't want to be there and he knew it was partly because of Jake.

But also partly because of his new girlfriend, the one he was crazy about, the one he knew he had fallen so madly in love with that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He hadn't told anyone else about her yet, not even his brother. He just knew the reaction from Alex would be to tease him about his track record with girlfriends. He would date them for a few weeks, maybe a month with the more successful ones, but they never lasted beyond that and he would move on to the next one. Why should this one be any different? But she was different, he could feel it. This time it was going to last.

He even didn't mind that she had a kid with another man. The father had been useless she told him and didn't want anything to do with the kid. He could be a stepfather, why not? He never thought he'd be OK with bringing up another man's kid but to his surprise when he met the baby he liked it and now he felt happy to be a dad. There was no reason they couldn't have one of their own too. It was time to settle down and have a family

It was evening time and Danny pulled up in his car. He glanced in the glove compartment at the engagement ring and smiled with happiness. He was sure this was the right thing to do, right now, tonight he would propose to her. His girlfriend got into the car with him, looking gorgeous as usual. She always made the effort to look good for him and she always wore that perfume he loved.

They drove around for a bit, the girl looked out the window and daydreamed, enjoying the late evening sunshine. He was quiet too, concentrating on his driving on the country lanes. They didn't need to talk, they were so comfortable together that they could enjoy each other's company in silence sometimes too.

They arrived at the country pub, Danny's favorite. He and his siblings always loved coming here when they were young when their parents brought them here. He knew Liam had loved it here. They ordered a drink, beer for Danny, and a vodka and coke for the girl, and found a table in the beer garden. They would order some food later. Danny was so nervous about proposing, what if she said no?

''I really love you'' he told her, feeling his cheeks burn while he said it

''I love you too'' she replied with a childish giggle

''There is something I need to tell you'' Danny continued, feeling more and more nervous, feeling sick now too. This would not be easy

''Go ahead I'm listening'' she said with another giggle

''You remember I told you about my brother Liam and what happened to him? About how he died?''

''Yes, and I think it's absolutely terrible, I am so sorry that you lost your brother in such a horrific way. Drink drivers are the scum of the earth''

''Yes, well you need to know something, and it's not good....''

Danny spent the next five minutes explaining to his girlfriend that his family was holding Liam's killer prisoner in their basement

She sat quietly listening to everything and not giving much of a reaction aside from slight shock I'm telling you because you need to know the truth about me'' Danny said at the end ''but also because I needed to tell someone, I needed to talk to someone, anyone...you see I wanted this at first, I wanted to punish Liam's killer. But now....well now I don't feel happy about it anymore. It's only been in the last few weeks that I started to realize that I don't hate him anymore, I used to but now I think I'm ready to forgive him. I've been watching him and he is just a scared young man who made a mistake, all he wants to do is go and see his family again. I was remembering how I could have killed someone while drunk driving just as easily, many times I had one too many beers and got behind the wheel afterward. The only difference between him and i is luck and nothing more''

The girl sat in silence for a moment. Danny looked at her and felt anxious

''Say something please'' he pleaded ''I don't want you to hate me but I needed to be honest with you about this''

''I don't know what to say'' she said at last ''you must realize this is rather a shock''

''I need your help''

''How can I help?'' The girl looked very confused

''I don't know, I just need your advice, your support. I can't live with this anymore, I know my family hates Jake and they will never let him go but I want to free him. I want to let him go home. I think I need to go to the police and tell them everything but I am scared and I don't want to lose you''

Danny found himself in tears despite his best efforts to stay strong and brave ''I was even going to propose to you tonight'' he said, tears rolling down his cheeks takes the engagement ring out of his pocket to show it to the girl

''I'm so sorry, I think we could have been happy together but I know I've lost you for good now''

The girl gently strokes his face and kisses him''Lets not be too hasty here'' she tells him '' you know how much I love you, darling, you're a great man and I think you'll be a great step-dad for my little girl. I want to marry you and be with you forever''

Danny was surprised ''But what about what I just told you...''

''I understand everything about Liam darling, I really understand. I think maybe I should meet Jake, I would like you to take me to meet him tonight''

Danny was even more surprised ''Are you sure you really want to meet him?'' he asked her''Oh yes, definitely. As soon as you told me about Jake I knew I had to meet him''