Chapter 32 - PREGNANT

She knew as soon as she was late that she was pregnant, just this feeling she got. The test confirmed it but she already knew.

Darren, that silly boy she met on holiday. He had to be the father. That silly boy was the one she had lost her virginity to. She knew unprotected sex had been a bad idea. Well, it had been the alcohol talking, all that vodka. Is it any wonder that she acted so foolishly? It seemed to her like Alcohol was the cause of many foolish actions and mistakes, Jake's accident was because of alcohol.. and now so was her accident. It is a very different kind of accident of course but still a bad one. No one died and in fact, a new life was being created inside her. But she didn't really know if she wanted it or if she was ready for it.

What about that silly boy Darren? Was he ready to be a father? She had kept in touch with him since the holiday, on Skype and Facebook, and even talked about meeting again. But he lived in another part of the country so it wouldn't be that easy to meet him again. She doubted he was ready to be a dad, his mum still grounded him when he misbehaved for god sake. A silly kid still betting grounded by his mother, how could he possibly be ready to be a father? It was insane. She also thought his mother would probably ground him for a long time for this too.

What about her mother and father? How would they react? How would Danny and Alex react? Maybe she didn't need to tell them? Maybe she could just have an abortion in secret and that would be the end of it? Did she want an abortion? Chloe felt more and more confused the more she thought about it, she didn't know how she felt or what she wanted to do.

She needed to talk to someone. Who could she talk to about it? Someone she knew she could trust. Someone who would listen and not judge her and not tell anyone else about it.

She went to see Jake.

''I need to talk to you, Jake. I have a problem and I really need your help and advice''

''Go ahead, I'm listening'' he said ''not got much else to do''

''Well I'm pregnant'' she explained ''I don't know if I want to keep it or not. I don't know what to do''

''Do you know who the father is?''

''Yes, a boy called Darren who I met on holiday. He is still just fifteen and he isn't ready to be a father yet, I know that much for sure''

''Have you told him about it yet?''

''No Jake, I haven't told anyone else yet, you're the first person I've told''

Chloe started to cry ''Jake I'm scared' she said ''I don't know what to do and if I tell my parents I think they will go mad.....and Darren, I am scared to tell him about it. I just don't know what to do''

Jake tried his best to comfort her ''Everything will be OK'' he told her ''we'll work out what to do'' Neither of them realized that Chloe had left the door to the basement wide open and Alex had seen, he had followed her down and was listening from up above. He had heard every word she had said to Jake

When Chloe returned to the kitchen she was surprised to see Alex sitting at the kitchen table staring at her

''Oh hi bro'' she said trying to sound casual

''Getting a bit friendly with Jake aren't you?'' he replied ''you were down there with him for ages''

''We were just talking''

''Talking about what?''

''Nothing much. I like talking to him and I feel a bit sorry for him being stuck down there all the time''

''You should never feel sorry for that scum, it killed our brother''

''Yes well I've forgiven him for that, you may not have but I have''

Alex slammed his fist down on the table in anger. Chloe was startled but tried to hide it, her brother's temper terrified her

''I don't like you talking to it and being so friendly with it'' Alex told her ''from now on I forbid you to go near it or talk to it''

''Get real Alex, I'm not going to do that just to please you, you don't own me and I'll do what I like'

''Will you? in that case maybe I'll tell mum and dad about the baby?''

Chloe looked horrified ''you know about that?''

''Sure I do, I heard every single word between you and the scum just now''

''You had no right to listen in, that was a private conversation between Jake and me''

''Well, the fact is I did listen and I know about this kid Darren. Now sit down so we can talk about it''

Chloe sat down at the table

''OK fine, what exactly do you want to talk about?'' she asked her brother

''Well what we are going to do about it for a start''

''I don't know if I want to keep it yet''

''Either way, we'll have to tell mum and dad''

''Why will we?'' Chloe was starting to get angry ''if I decide to keep it then I'll tell them but if I decide to get rid of it I don't see why they even need to know about it. in any case, I want to tell them in my own time''

''And we need to decide what to do about Darren...''

''What about Darren?'' she asked him looking concerned

''He can't get away with it, there have to be consequences''

''Look Alex, I know you've always been protective of me but Darren didn't really do anything wrong. I went with him willingly''

''You're still only a young girl, he could be done for statutory rape''

Chloe shook her head ''I'm older than he is, he is still only fifteen, he's just a kid, his mum still grounds him for god sake He is just a little boy still''

''I heard what you said, he got you drunk and took advantage''

''No, I decided to drink with him, I wanted to get drunk. I made my own choices, I won't blame Darren for it''

''Well I think we should go and see Darren''

''Why?''

''I want to talk to him, don't worry I won't hurt him. We'll go together Chloe and talk to him and see what he says. He is the father and he needs to know don't you agree?''

''Well yes I guess so, I was thinking I might tell him and see how he feels''

''Great well where does he live?''

''It's miles away Alex, probably be easier just to tell him on Skype''

''Crap this is far too important to do online, we'll go and see him in person, I'll drive us there''

''But it's a long way away'' Chloe said anxiously

''It's fine, I don't mind driving there Alex said coolly 'tell me the details and we'll go together, we'll go today''