Chapter 48 - THE CHASE

Jake's parents arrived at the train station. They looked around, no sign of Jake, but there was another car nearby. ''Well, where is he then?'' Jake's father said as they stood there alone in the dark ''Are you sure this is the right train station?''

''Of course, I'm bloody sure'' Jake's mother replied rather shortly ''I know what he said and he definitely said this station''

''Well, where is he then?''

''It's ok I'll call him and find out'' Jake's mother had saved Chloe's number on her phone before they had left so now she was ready to call it to talk to Jake and find out where he was. She dialed the number

In the woods, Jake and Chloe had run until they couldn't run anymore and they had to stop to rest. They sat down in the dark, among the trees ''I've never run that far and that fast before'' Chloe whispered while she tried to catch her breath ''me neither'' Jake replied

''Do you think we ran far enough? Seems to me like we came a long way in, the others would have trouble finding us in the darkness?''

''I don't know babe, they aren't going to give up easily are they, they will keep hunting until they find us''

Chloe got her phone out of her pocket ''maybe we should call the police'' she said ''tell them where we are and what's happening to us''

Jake was shocked ''But you said you didn't want to get them into trouble'' he said. Chloe looked very sad ''I didn't'' she replied ''but what choice do we have now? If they catch us and we didn't tell the police first then we've had it, no one can help us and no one will know what happened but if we tell them then at least if we get caught the police will know where to go to rescue us again''

''You're right, yes ring them we have to do it''

But Chloe was horrified but what happened next. Her phone still had plenty of battery life left, no problem there. But no signal, it seemed that being in the middle of the woods meant they had lost the signal. She tried and tried and nothing ''Oh Shit, what will we do Jake?'' Chloe was panicking now. Jake tried to keep calm but he was panicking too ''Ok so there is no signal now but maybe if we move again we can find one, come on we've had a rest and we need to keep moving and try and get a signal''

They got up and started running again.

Donald, Lorraine, Alex, and Mandy were running through the woods, in the dark. They couldn't see anything ''oh this is hopeless'' Lorraine said ''let's face it they've got away and this is hopeless''

But Mandy spotted the light from Chloe's phone in the distance ''no it's not'' she whispered and pointed to the light and the movement. The four of them stood still and kept out of sight, they could see the light and could just about make out the sound of the pair of them whispering and then they got up and ran off again. The four of them ran after them

Chloe and Jake ran for a while and then stopped again, they were tired and needed a rest ''ok try your phone again'' Jake said ''maybe there is a signal now'' Chloe tried and then shook her head '''Nothing''

''It's ok, we'll keep running and keep trying''

The others were catching up to them and noticed they had stopped running and they were trying the phone again. Alex got the gun from his pocket as they ran closer to them. He got careless and ran into a bush which made a noise. In the daytime, the noise would not be all that noticeable but at night in the silence, the noise would stand out more.