Extended Sypnosis

So as promised I have offically posted my rewrite! I am still writing the previous chapters but I have enough that I will be able to update every week. Alot of things have changed, like after this chapter I will be writing in first person, I also tried to be a bit more detailed so I hope you like it!  Also I want to give a huge thanks to yobshabob who helped me with the cover. It would not look anywhere near as awesome if wasn't for her.

Sang has always been able to see spirits, the one and only time she ever mentioned and acknowledged this gift, her mother punished her severely. That was the first time Sang was forced to drink a vile mixture of vinegar and lemon juice to keep from "telling such horrible and vile stories". It burned her throat and she wasn’t able to talk for the rest of the day. The 5 year old vowed never to mention it again to anyone else and so Sang kept to herself afraid she might slip and get punished again.

   It was harder to ignore THEM, they were everywhere the park, the gas station, even school wasn't safe from wandering souls. They sensed she was different and would watch her, waiting for the smallest hint she could see them then they would swoop down on her and demand she help them. They all wanted the same thing, for her to find a loved one and give them a message. They never seemed to care she was a scared and confused little girl who had no idea how to look for someone, or that her mother would never let her talk to a stranger. It was terrifying and so she welcomed the solitude her mother forced upon her and her older sister Marie, never letting them out of the house unless it was for school.

There was one spirit who Sang didn't mind at all, in fact she would call this spirit her one and only friend. Elizabeth or Liza as Sang called her, had beautiful long blonde hair, bright green eyes and a kind smile she was young, around 20 and had died during child birth. She never begged Sang to find anyone or deliver any messages, she seemed content to just have some company and would help chase away the mobbing spirits when they became too much. Liza would stay with her when she was forced to kneel  for hours and kept her entertained with some story about a neighbor she just "happened" to over hear or come across glancing angrily at the clock as time passed. She hated how the woman who called herself a mother would treat Sang as a slave and then punish her for no reason at all and she never hid how much she despised the woman. Sang’s father was just as bad in the spirit’s opinion, as he would just look the other way. Liza always gained this betrayed glint in her eyes whenever he was around but would never answer Sang when asked about it. 

  Unlike other spirits who would constantly talk about their previous lives, Liza tended to always change the subject or just smile sadly at her, tell her how it wasn’t smart to dwell in the past and that Sang was the only one she needed or wanted to talk with. Sang always wondered about the little girl that Liza had given birth to and why she never wanted Sang to look for her but was always afraid to bring the subject up.
Liza had shown up one day when Sang was 5 years old. It had been around a month since she had tried to ask her mother about the strange, pale people that no one paid any attention to. Sang had been confused as to why she was the only one that could see them, and had tried asking one of the pale people since her mother had only punished her for lying. The slightly see through old man hadn’t even given her the time to ask her question before he had swooped down on her demanding she help him find his grandson. The surrounding spirits having realized she could see them, surrounded her with pleas and demands for her to help them. The young girl was scared and curled up on the ground crying when the beautiful women shooed the scary ones away. She crouched down, gave her a smile and promised that everything would be okay. Liza never left and Sang was happy to have someone who was nice and finally explain just who and what exactly the strange people were.

There was one type of spirit that truly terrified the young girl, she would take the normal mobbing and pleading spirits over the other kind any day. These spirits were not like the slightly faded but still normal looking spirits that Sang normally sees. Normal spirits, still looked like they did before they died, they wore the same clothing as they did when they passed, but luckily they were not covered in blood or held the wounds of their death. You could tell what color their hair and eyes and clothing were, though slightly faded and not as vibrant as they were when they were alive. The Darklings were these black human shaped figures with bright red eyes and sinister grins. They don’t want you to help them find a loved one or a give a message to someone, the only thing a Darkling wants is fear. They literally feed off the dark emotions of fear, anger, and hate. They haunt the living and the dead, doing whatever it takes to cause their victims to feel such emotions, the more horrible the feelings the stronger they become and the more chaos they can cause. They tended to torment the living more often than the dead and their all time favorite were the special ones, the Gifted ones.

The Gifted were people who had special abilities, who could see and do things normal people couldn’t, such as communicating with the dead like Sang, or seeing the past of an object like Liza when she was alive. The dark spirits became much stronger if they consumed the powerful emotions of a Gifted and did everything they could to torment a Gifted when they found one. 

Sang had only came across a Darkling once in her life and she prays she never meets another one again. It was a brief encounter that gave her nightmares for months and Sang was never more grateful for Liza than she was that day she appeared and forced him away. That was also the day Liza officially became her Guardian, a spirit that held a strong bond with a medium who protected and guided them through their life. Liza took her job seriously and taught her everything she knew about the spirit realm and the Gifted. 

Sang was 15 when her father got a job promotion and they all packed up and moved to Charleston, South Carolina. She didn’t know it then but this move would change her life forever, with the ever faithful Liza by her side, Sang would gain friends, learn secrets, and face against the most terrifying creature she had ever met.