Chapter Three

❝familiarity (pronounced fəmɪlɪˈarɪti or fuh-mil-ee-ar-i-tee), noun
relaxed friendliness or intimacy between people.❞

"I'm a horrible girlfriend, aren't I?"

"What?" asked Drew, sounding confused. "What do you mean?"

Elle took a deep breath, looking at him. They were sitting on her bed, while Drew was typing away on his laptop. Elle was lying with her eyes closed, and Drew had assumed that she was asleep until she had mumbled that sentence. "It's... I... I pressured you."

"You did what?"

"I pressured you into having sex with me," she said softly.

His mind backtracked frantically, trying to remember a time when he hadn't wanted it as much as she had, a time when he had constantly said no and she hadn't listened. "I don't think I know what you're talking about," he said slowly. "Are you sure you weren't dreaming it or something?"

Tears filled her eyes, and she shook her head. "No. I mean... I mean the time that I... I kept begging you and you said no until I made you say yes."

"Wait, the day after you came back?" he said, suddenly remembering. "Cookie, you didn't-"

"I did," she said, beginning to cry. "I swore I never would, not after Chad did it to me-"

"Stop- Ellie, stop crying. Look at me," he said quietly, helping her sit up and holding her. "No one forced me to do anything that day, d'you understand?"

"You kept saying no, and I cried until you said yes-" she wailed, but he shushed her, hugging her tightly.

"My love, I wasn't saying no because I didn't want it. If I had it my way, Ellie... if I had you every second of every day, I swear..." He sighed. "I said no because I was scared I would hurt you. I was scared you'd be in pain and that I would be the reason for it. Not because I didn't want to. There was nothing that wasn't entirely consensual that night, I promise.

"But-"

"No buts. Stop crying. I love you, okay? I know that's hard for you to believe sometimes, but I do. You're amazing, and you're perfect, and I love you."

She sniffled against his shoulder. "I'm a crybaby, aren't I?" she asked softly with an attempted laugh that came out as more of a whimper.

"Maybe. But as long as I'm here to dry your tears, who cares?" he said with a smile. "It's okay. You're okay."

"You're more than I deserve."

"Maybe two years ago that was true. But now, you deserve more."

"Hmm."

"Hmm indeed." He smiled at her gently. "You look nice today."

Somehow, from anyone else, the statement wouldn't have sounded genuine, but from Drew, she could hear it a thousand times and know he was telling the truth. "You know," she said, "when you smile, the freckles on your cheek and your dimple make a sad face."

He laughed. "It's to contrast the smile."

"Of course."

He brushed her tears away, before looking into her eyes. "May I kiss you?"

"Why is that a question?" she breathed.

"I dunno," he murmured back, before kissing her.

This was gentle. This was soft, sweet and tentative, and it made her heart flutter quickly against her ribcage. There was nothing hurried or overly passionate- no, Drew was simply kissing her, suggesting nothing more than this, letting his hand go to the small of her back. He pulled away for a short second, just to breathe, before kissing her again. "I love you," he mumbled against her lips.