Chapter Fifteen

❝bargain (pronounced ˈbɑːɡɪn or bahr-guh n), noun
an agreement between two or more people or groups as to what each will do for the other.❞

Elle was staring out the window of Cassie's room when she heard the door open behind her. Cassie looked desperate. "Elle, I know you don't like me, but-"

"What's wrong?" she asked immediately. Something wasn't right, and Cassie looked scared.

"It's Frank, he's had a thing for me for years and years now, he's friends with Da and he always-" She took a deep, shuddering breath, "- always tried to hit on me, and Da wouldn't say nothing, he's here now and I'm eighteen, there's nothin' that'll stop him-"

"Cassie, darlin', where're you hiding?" called a sleazy voice, and Cassie began to cry quietly.

"Elle, what do I do? I can't- I've never had sex before, if I- if I do it, I'll- Elle, I'll-"

"Stay calm," said Elle softly. "It'll be alright."

The man appeared in the doorway, smiling eerily. "Alright, darling," he said. "Now, I'm gonna give you twenty seconds to come out here, or I'll drag you out myself. There's no way the police'll get me for being a kiddy-fiddler now, is there, sweetheart?"

Cassie was openly sobbing now. "Please... p-please..."

"Does it have to be her?" asked Elle weakly.

The man's brown eyes looked her up and down. "Nah, you'll do, babe. Just come quietly."

Elle looked at Cassie, who was shaking her head, tears rolling down her face. "Elle, you can't, you've got Drew-"

"I'm not pure like you are, Cass," said Elle gently. "It won't be my first time. Adrian deserves you as you are, okay? It won't hurt me. I'll be fine."

"No, p-please!" She collapsed into tears. "I'll go, I'll g-go-"

"Shut up, Cassie," said Elle harshly. "Are we staying here or going someplace else?"

"Back to my house," he leered. "I have a few... toys... we could play with."

"Fun," she said softly, barely hearing her own voice. "I'll come. But only if you promise to never hurt Cassie again."

"No!"

"That's fine by me," said the man, sneering. "But I've got to make you promise me a little something, too."

"Name it," said Elle, her heart pounding at the mere thought of this filthy, greasy man with his hands all over her.

"This won't be the last time," he said. "I say I want you, and you come."

"Fine," said Elle. "I refuse to do anything without protection."

"Easy enough, sweetheart, easy enough." He smirked at Cassie, who was beyond crying openly and was now simply staring, tears rolling down her face. "See you around, Cassie."

"You don't speak to her, or I refuse," said Elle coldly. "Hurry up."

They left the room, Cassie staring after them and wishing that her sister wasn't so noble.

<><><><><><><><>

One step. Two steps. Three steps. Left. Right. Left. Right.

If she didn't count the steps, the throbbing in her legs would force her to collapse to the floor before she walked back into the flat. The stairs had been challenging enough, but Frank had ruined her. Her legs and her body ached beyond anything she'd felt before.