Chapter Forty-Two

*define who the fuck knows i'm tired*

There was a knock on the door, and Robin unlocked it, opening it and walking back to where Jen was sitting. Jordan let himself in. He looked like he'd showered, but there were spots on his neck that she didn't really want to think about. "Hey," he said softly. "I'm here. Robbie-"

"I'll call my parents then," she said frostily.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" he asked, and she rolled her eyes.

"What do you want?" she said softly to him, after walking out into the corridor.

"I told you, I'm sorry. I couldn't tell her n-"

"That's rape, then," she said angrily. "I'm taking care of my friend, so if you'll excuse me-"

"You're not that much younger than me, could you stop and listen for a moment?" he snapped. "Don't you get it?! Isn't there anyone you hold dear to you? What about that guy you like?"

"Tyson?" she asked. She'd made him up, she had to admit- he wasn't real. He was a ruse, something she'd told him ages ago to make him jealous. Obviously it hadn't worked. "We're- we're going strong, what's it to you?"

"Don't you ever make excuses for him? Change plans?"

"Nah, because unlike you, I'm not a dumbass, and I'm not dating someone who forces me to change my plans," she snapped.

He sighed, pulling a hand through his hair, then letting it drop, looking at her. "I'm sorry, Robbie."

"Fine." She shook her head. "I'd argue, but this isn't about me. This is about someone else."

"Okay. What happened?"

"I'll let you find out for yourself. It's not my business to tell." She walked back, past Jordan and to Jen. "I'll talk to you soon."

"Okay. Thank you, Robbie."

"You can call me whenever you need to, you know that, don't you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I do."

Jordan said, "I'll let her out, you finish eating, and followed Robin out, a hand on her lower back. She couldn't walk fast enough to make him stop touching her, but she also kind of liked the way her legs felt like jelly and there was electricity from his fingers down her spine. She gulped and kept walking.

"Robbie, I'm sorry," he said softly. "I know it's not enough to make you forgive me, but-"

"No, I..." She sighed. "I'm being stupid. It wasn't really your fault."

"I should've been more-"

"Hush, now." She sighed. "You're lucky I can't keep mad at you for whatever reason."

"Yeah, I am," he said, sounding relieved. He hugged her to his chest and she probably stopped breathing even though the hug wasn't even that tight. "I'll see you soon, Robbie."

"Yeah. Uh, next time I come round, I guess."

"Okay." He patted her shoulder. "I'll see you soon, kid."

"See you."

<><><><><><><><>

Elle swirled her wine in the glass that she was holding, and Drew smiled at her. "Enjoying yourself?"

"Very much so," she said, a small smile on her face.

The night air was cold, pricking at their skin, but the moon shone over them, peeking through the leaves of the tree they sat under. Both were full of roast beef and potatoes, and now they were drinking some red wine together. The park was empty, save for a few kids in the distance who were probably drinking or smoking something they shouldn't be. But Elle felt safe, at home, with Drew, whose eyes reflected the lights of Nashville around them.