Chapter Eighteen

❝strength (pronounced strɛŋkθ or strengkth), noun
the quality or state of being strong.❞

They stared at each other, in complete awe, and Drew's hand came up, touching her cheek. She didn't respond, just kept staring into his eyes. His heart was beating wildly, and his breathing was ragged.

"You're... you're here?"

Her rosebud lips were ever-so-slightly parted. She hadn't gained any weight, or even lost it- no, she looked exactly the same. Her skin was still slightly bruised, and she looked as tired as Drew did these days. But she looked the same. She looked exactly the same as she had when she had left.

"D-Drew... Drew, we can't be seen together," she breathed.

Then, she grabbed his hand, and they left their shopping carts in the aisle.

She dragged him into a clothing store near the market, and then into a changing room while the woman behind the counter didn't seem to be watching. "What the hell are you doing here, Ellie?" he breathed.

"I'm- I convinced Gabriel to come back, I told him that I needed more treatment here. We're only here 'til tomorrow, then we're going back."

"Going back where?"

"I can't tell you."

Drew took a deep breath to steady himself. "Well, do you need chemo pills?"

"No. I think- as far as I can tell, either it's gone, or it's close to being gone. The pills are working."

"You're still getting them?"

"Cassie brings them. He doesn't want me to die, he just doesn't want me seeing you guys again."

Just being in such close proximity to her had raised his adrenaline levels. "Cookie-"

"Don't, Drew. We can't- I can't do anything yet. There's no- we're not safe yet."

"What do you mean?"

"He's- there's a friend of his, I need to deal with him first, otherwise-"

"Let him do whatever he likes, come back to me."

"I can't just do that-"

"Yes, you f*cking can!" he snarled. "Do you know what that- that bastard has put me through? I can't live without you!"

"I can't just come back!" she hissed. "There are things I need to work out, things I need to do. I don't know how, but-"

"I need you," he said, his voice breaking. "Shit, Ellie, I need you so much."

"You don't need me, I've been so horrible to you. I'm so sor-"

But he didn't listen to her. He grabbed her waist and pushed her up against the mirror on the wall of the changing room they were in, making her let out a small squeak of surprise, before crashing his lips down onto hers.

Bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss flowed through his veins. Nothing was held back. Nothing about this kiss was gentle or soft. It filled him with something he hadn't felt for such a long time. Happiness and pain all consumed him at once, and he moaned against her lips, feeling the way her body pressed up against his when he kissed her like this. She didn't fight against him- no, her hands ran through his hair, and her head hit the back wall when he kept kissing her. He pulled away, breathing so heavily that he almost felt dizzy.

"Get back here," she groaned, and kissed him again, with even more fervour, even more passion. His lips were the drug she had been missing, and it still had the same effect on her that it did a year ago. Her fingernails left crescent shapes in his shoulders that would surely bruise.