Chapter Thirteen

❝loophole (pronounced ˈluːphəʊl or loop-hohl), noun
an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.❞

Hunter woke up, Ryan lying beside him. He brushed the stray tears off her face, then sat up, feeling achy and tired.

It was December, and it was now Phoenix's birthday. Ryan had woken up again the night before, crying about Elle and wishing she could do something to save her, and Hunter had sat there, quietly whispering sweet nothings until she fell back asleep. Feeling Hunter stir, she opened her own eyes, looking up. "Nick's birthday," she mumbled. "We should say happy birthday to him."

"We should," murmured Hunter, tucking a strand of Ryan's light blonde hair behind her ear. "Are you okay?"

"I have to be." She sat up, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "I'm sorry for waking you up last night."

"No, no, don't apologise," he said, putting his hand on her waist and kissing her forehead. "You don't have to apologise for anything, okay? We're both struggling like crazy these days."

"I'm not strong," she whispered, so quietly that Hunter wasn't even sure he had heard it correctly.

"You're the strongest woman I've ever met," he said. "Just for today. Come on. We'll pull through together. That's what we always do, right?" He pulled himself out of bed, but then heard a quiet sniffle. "Ry?" he breathed, turning back around to see her crying softly.

"I miss her," she whispered, before letting out a soft sob. "Hunt, I miss her so damn much..."

Hunter sighed, going back and hugging Ryan tightly. "I miss her, too," he said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"I don't even know anymore, bluejay, I just wish- I just wish I could help her, I just wish I was there when-"

"Ry, there's nothing we could have done," he reminded her patiently. "We tried, and if this is what she wanted-"

"It's not what she freaking wanted, Hunter! She was- she was t-threatened..."

"Shh..." breathed Hunter, rocking her back and forth gently. "She's stronger than we think she is. She'll come back to us in time. For now, Ry, we just have to wait. I promise, it'll be okay."

Ryan pulled away from him suddenly, angrily wiping her tears. "My dove?"

"You're- you're so inhuman about it all- you'd think you didn't c-care..." She let out a hysterical laugh, then let out another sob. "I- I can't believe-"

"Ryan, stop," said Hunter quietly. "I- I just-"

"Y-You never really c-c-cared..." she whispered.

"You're talking crazy, my love. You know I care about Elle as much as I care about any of you."

"And how much do you care for us?!"

"Ryan, quiet," said Hunter, soft but firm. "It's Nick's birthday. We don't want to upset him by arguing."

"Oh, that's rich-"

Hunter took two long strides towards her, before framing her face in his hands, forcing her to look him in the eyes. "You trust me," he breathed. "Don't you?"

"S-Stop," she whispered, but he kissed her.

"Ry, I learned my lesson the first time I hurt you. I don't plan to do that again. I know I can be harsh, I know I'm not all perfect, but you can't say I don't love you and care about you."

"Get off me-"

"Look at me."

She glared at him, her eyes wide and filled with tears, and he said softly, "I'm sorry, Ryan."