Chapter Fifty

*define family*

Elle came through the door, and took a deep breath, tucking her hair behind her ear. She smiled to herself. He was going to be so happy.

"Hey, you're home!" called Drew from the kitchen. Since Elle had given him proper lessons, he had flourished in his cooking, and now was extremely good at cooking savoury food- he knew exactly how to season food to get a good flavour kick out of it. He walked up to her, and struck a pose. "Do you like my new apron?"

"Kiss the cook," she said with a small laugh. "Cliche."

"You love it," he said, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her forehead. "How was the audition?"

"I got the part, rehearsals begin next week, production is in a year from now."

"That's amazing!" He kissed her happily, and she chuckled.

"You seem to be in a good mood," said Elle with a small smile. "What's up?"

He grinned. "I have an interview with a publisher next week, I'm excited to show them the manuscript. They might take it on!"

"That's amazing, sweetheart," said Elle, sitting down. Drew noticed her tiredness, and turned off the stove.

"Hey, everything okay?"

"Of course. Just a bit worn out," she said quietly. "Don't worry about me."

"Nothing's hurting, is it? No bruises?"

"None."

"Good," he said, kissing her quickly, and going back to the stove. "Anything you'd like to have as a snack? I'm making salmon and asparagus."

"Drew, aren't those expensive foods?"

"The guy down at the market gave me a whole bag of asparagus for free, said he didn't want it. And the fish, well... I figured I needed to spoil you a little." He smiled. "Any snacks?"

She tried to keep a straight face. "Blueberry yoghurt."

"I think we have some in the fridge," he said, checking quickly. "Ha, we do. Here you go, love."

She opened it, taking a bite, before saying, "Hey, wanna know a fun fact?"

"Go on," he said, not turning away from the stove.

"A blueberry is how big a human embryo is at seven weeks in the womb."

"Huh. Random fun fact."

"Yeah, the doctor told me that when I went in today for my checkup."

"The doctor said that? Why woul-" Suddenly, he stiffened, his hand hovering over the asparagus.

"Drew," she said quietly. "We did it. I'm seven weeks along."

His breathing was fast and shallow, and he turned around with tears in his eyes. His dimpled smile had never been bigger, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "We did it?"

"Yes. You're going to be a dad," said Elle with a smile on her face and tears in her eyes too.

He turned off the stove, then hugged her, kissing her all over her face and crying. "Thank you," he whispered. "Thank you, Ellie. Thank you, God, for blessing us both. A baby, Ellie, our own little baby..." He cried into her hair, his shoulders shaking with joy. "Oh my God, I don't think I've ever been so excited." He put a hand over her stomach and laughed. "A baby, Ellie!"

"I know," she said. "I'm so happy."

He kissed her. "I love you," he said. "More than life. More than anything. I love you so much, Cookie. Thank you for being everything I could ever want."