Chapter Twenty-Four

❝self (pronounced sɛlf or as spelled), noun
a person's essential being that distinguishes them from others, especially considered as the object of introspection or reflexive action.❞

Ryan was sitting on a chair on the balcony of their hotel room, and Hunter quietly brought her a cup of tea and a coffee for himself. She thanked him, and they sat together in silence, watching the lights of California.

"I can't believe it," she said eventually. "Ellie..."

"I know," said Hunter quietly, looking over his mug at her. Her lips were pale, and she was staring at the lights determinedly, surprisingly dry eyed. To be fair, he was the same- too in shock to cry.

"I thought what I went through was bad," she said. "I can't even begin to imagine what she's been through."

Hunter closed his eyes. "I hate myself."

"What?"

"If I had..." He inhaled shakily, then tried again. "First Lilly, then you, then Elle... Ry, what if it's Robbie next? What if it's Red? Hell, what if it's Nick or Spence?"

"Don't say things like that," said Ryan sharply. "This has nothing to do with you."

"Why is it always us?"

"I don't know, Hunt."

He looked at Ryan, like he was seeing her for the first time, and he felt a sob rising in his chest. "I can't do this."

"Hunter-"

"I can't be a witness on the stand. Ry, my dove, I want to go home."

Ryan stared at her mug, listening to Hunter cry as softly as he could. "I wanna go home, Ry, this hurts too bad. I want to take Elle home. I want to just leave and pretend none of this ever happened."

"I know," said Ryan quietly, taking his hand. He took his hand away from her grip, using it to wipe his tears, and still sobbing.

"I don't deserve you. I need to g-go-"

"Hunter," sighed Ryan softly, moving to him and sitting on his lap, kissing his forehead. "This isn't easy for any of us, least of all Elle and Drew, I'm sure."

"What do we do?"

"Once we prove without a doubt that it wasn't her, she'll be brought back to court as a witness for Frank's case. She'll probably have a counsellor appointed for her."

"And then?"

"And then we take care of her as best we can," responded Ryan easily, moving his hair out of his eyes and kissing him. "Remember?"

"I've done such a horrible job of it so far," he whimpered, and she shook her head.

"You've done what you could, and that's enough, okay? We're gonna be okay."

Hunter looked up, and she brushed his tears away. "Don't cry," she breathed. "Ellie needs us to be strong."

"I wanted to find her family so that she'd finally be safe," he whispered.

"I know. Hunter, we couldn't have predicted something like this might happen, you know that."

"I just..." He buried his face in her shoulder, trembling, and she kissed his head. "I just wish I could take care of her."

"When she's out of remand, she'll have us, and she'll have Drew. I know for a fact that he would do anything it takes to protect her, and I know we would do the exact same. Okay?"

He looked up at her and smiled sadly, before tucking her hair behind her ear. "I'm so glad I have you taking care of us," he breathed.

"You saved me. It's the least I can do." She kissed him. "Would distracting you help?"