Chapter Sixty-Four

*definition will come when i finish the book maybe*

"I don't get how you balance so easily." Spencer sighed, lying back on the sand, and Oliver laughed.

"I've been doing this since I could walk. You're lucky you can even stand on that board."

"Fair." Spencer took a long drink of water, staring out at the ocean. "I really like it here."

"I'm glad." Oliver sighed, then looked at him. "Actually... I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Yeah, shoot."

Oliver stared out at the ocean, and began to speak. "It only really hit me when... when the two of us were standing on the roof together."

Spencer didn't say anything, just waited.

"You were... the only one who was there, and I... I just realised... I don't need anyone else to be there, really, you're all I need."

"I... care about you too, Oli."

"Spence?"

"Mmm?"

"Are you gay?"

Spencer choked on his chip, and spluttered out, "Y-Yeah? Obviously?"

"Right... and... how do you know that you're gay?"

"How do I... what do you mean, how do I know that I'm gay?"

"How do you know?" he repeated. "Like... you've never had a girlfriend, right? Never been in a relationship?"

"Alright, calm down, I know," said Spencer with a laugh. "I... I dunno, I guess I just know? Like, I know that I'm gay the way you know that you're straight."

"That's just the thing, Spence."

"Hmm?"

"I don't know if I'm straight."

Spencer stared at the ocean in front of him silently. The waves were loud, crashing onto the shore, but it was nothing compared to the turmoil that had suddenly begun in his stomach. "Oh."

"You... have confused me. There's something about you, Hayes-Lockhart."

"Confused?"

"Yeah. I'm really confused right now. But... maybe you could help me with that?"

"What do you-"

But before he could finish his sentence, Oliver had leaned forward, and suddenly, they were kissing.

Spencer had never kissed anyone before. But he understood now. He understood why people were so obsessed with the idea of romance, of love. He'd never felt this good before. Maybe there was no other way to feel this good. Oliver tasted like rosemary, and the chips they were eating. His lips were soft. His hand was wrapped in Spencer's hair, and Spencer's hand was on his chest.

When Oliver pulled away, Spencer was breathing hard, his heart beating wildly in his chest. "What... the f*ck was that?" he asked.

"All the confirmation I needed," said Oliver, before kissing him again. Spencer was lost, but part of him didn't really mind, either. Not if it meant that he could kiss Oliver. "Spence, I... I really like you."

"This is... this is so out of the blue," he breathed back.

"Is it?"

Spencer thought carefully. Maybe... maybe it wasn't so out of the blue. "That's why."

"Hmm?"

"You told me you loved me. Before you went to jump."

"Maybe that wasn't quite right. I do care about you a lot. A lot. But I don't know if it's love, not yet. I... I really like you, though. For what it's worth."