Chapter Sixty-Two

*define puzzling*

Spencer checked everything again. Toiletries, pants, trousers, t-shirts, two sets of bathers, his surfboard (lent to him by Oliver), and enough peanut butter to last him a century. He zipped up his suitcase, smiling as he heard the doorbell. He sprinted downstairs. "Hey!"

"'Sup?" Oliver was wearing shorts and a baseball tee. "Ready to go?"

"Never been more ready in my life."

"Alright, we're spending two weeks at the beach, it's gonna be awesome, just us, my parents, and Pip. The drive is pretty far, but I have a couple games we can play on my console, so it's fine."

"Sweet." 

Hunter came forward and ruffled Spencer's hair. "Alright, packed everything?"

"Yes, Pa."

"Good. We'll see you in a couple of weeks! Have fun, and take care, okay?"

"Yes, Pa! Bye!" He quickly kissed both his parents on the cheek, before leaving with Oliver.

Hunter and Ryan stared after him. "They're gonna bang," said Ryan, matter-of-factly.

"Yeah." He looked at her. "Wanna bang?"

"Thought you'd never ask."

<><><><><><><><>

"Wake up, darling. We're home."

Elle opened her eyes sleepily, and Drew chuckled. "Welcome. Come on in. I'll make you a nice cup of tea, okay?"

"My head hurts."

"I know, hon. The chemo will do that to you."

Radiation therapy. A concept she hadn't had to think about for nine years was now back in her life, and she hated every second of it. She waddled up the stairs to their apartment and fell onto the couch with a deep sigh. Diglett jumped onto the couch with her, and Drew sat down beside them both. He cuddled into Elle with a sigh. "Hey, baby."

"Hey."

"Did you get some rest?"

"Yeah, I did."

They sat there quietly for a little while, Diglett licking Drew's hand and Elle nuzzled against him, her baby bump not letting them cuddle together properly. Drew's hand moved up and down her bump, up and down, the soothing motions making her close her eyes.

"She's kicking," whispered Drew softly.

"Yeah, she is," said Elle, smiling at the fluttering kicks that she could feel. She kissed him once. "Are you... excited?"

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda scared, but... nothing makes me happier than knowing that we're having a baby." Drew smiled at her gently. "You are such a beautiful mother."

She smiled at him slightly, before closing her eyes. "What will it be like, do you think? When she's born?"

"I reckon we'll have it pretty rough for a while. We're not parents, after all."

"You've always been so good with Robbie and Nick and Spence and Red."

"Says you," he said, nuzzling his nose against hers and making her chuckle. "I'm just worried. Y'know, if this book deal doesn't go through..."

"It will. I know how incredible you are at writing- I've read your books."

They were quiet, Drew's hand gently moving over her bump as they both felt the little kicks. Drew hummed gently, thinking about his little Winter. Winter, who would have Elle's bronze hair and his brown eyes. Winter, who would sing like a nightingale and dance like her mother. Winter. Their Winter.