Chapter Thirty-Five

❝foster (pronounced ˈfɒstə or fos-ter), verb
bring up (a child that is not one's own by birth).❞  

Elle woke up a few hours later, feeling warmth on her back, and a warm arm draped over her waist. Drew had fallen asleep spooning her, the curtains drawn over the window, leaving the room dark. She moved his arm gently so that he wouldn't wake up, and noticed the lamp on on the other side of the room, illuminating a plate of food and a note on a piece of paper. She stood and plodded toward the table, picking up the note to read it.

I brought up dinner, but I think you look like you're a bit tired, so just eat this when you wake up. I love you cookie ❤︎

She looked at the plate. There was an artisan looking chicken burger of some sort on it, and an avocado salad on the side. She glanced back at Drew, who was still fast asleep, and smiled. He knew her so well. She ate the food, which, though it was cold, still tasted good, and went back to their bed, feeling considerably better.

Drew stirred. "Did you eat?" he mumbled.

"Yeah. Thank you, Beanbag, it was amazing."

He hummed tiredly, wrapping an arm around her and pulling her into his body again, placing a sloppy kiss on her ear instead of her cheek. "Love you," he managed to get out, before falling fast asleep again.

She fell back asleep too, this time far more relaxed and not in as much pain. This was what she had wanted.

<><><><><><><><>

Phoenix and Ebony were making out on his bed.

It was around midday. Hunter was at the studio, the kids were at school, and Ryan was too. He had the house to himself, and called Ebony over out of boredom. They started out doing some work, and somehow, they got to this point.

He wasn't complaining, after all. She was still beautiful, and he still loved her more than anything. He pulled away slightly, breathing heavily. "I love you."

"I love you too," she muttered, before kissing him again, and he closed his eyes, letting himself lose his train of thought in her.

They heard the front door open and quickly sprung apart. Ebony smoothed her hair over her scar again, adjusting herself to look like she was reading on the bed, and Phoenix mussed his curls enough that he looked natural. A split second later, Ryan appeared at the door. "Hey, kids!"

"Hi, Ma."

"Hey, Ryan!"

"You didn't tell me Ebony was coming over, Nick!" said Ryan, trying to not to laugh at how flustered and red they both looked, despite trying to act completely natural. Red ran into the room and jumped onto Phoenix's bed, making him chuckle.

"Hey there, Red. How was school?"

"Good! I was playing in the sand today!"

"She certainly was, weren't you, my little munchkin?" said Ryan, lifting her up, and Phoenix watched the shower of sand from her golden hair. She smiled mischievously, and Ryan kissed her nose. "Can I get you two anything?"

"We're good, Ma, thank you."

They left, and Ebony sighed. "I wish I was as good at sign language as you guys are. All I understood just then was 'good'."

"I mean, it took me like three years to get it," said Phoenix, kissing her cheek. "Don't worry about it. She said that she was playing in the sand today, and so she had a good day."

She nodded, then chuckled. "You know what Angie from school was asking me the other day?"

"Hmm?"