Chapter Forty-Eight

*define envy*

The years went on, of course. Time passed, every year feeling shorter than the last. It was 2043 now. Elle and Drew had been trying, unsuccessfully, for a baby, and as Elle heard the doorbell, she sighed slightly. "Drew, honey, Cassie and Adrian are here."

"Hey," said Drew gently, taking her hand and looking at her. "Play nice, okay? I know you-"

"Don't tell me how to act around my sister," she muttered, before opening the door.

"Hey!" said Cassie excitedly, throwing her arms around Elle. "It's so good to see you!" 

"Hi," she said dully, and Drew stepped on her foot. He gave Adrian a hug as well, before moving out of the way to let a little someone else in.

"Hewitt! Hey, kid!" said Drew, laughing and lifting the tiny, red-haired child onto his shoulders. Hewitt laughed cheerfully, and Elle felt herself twitch.

"Come in, have some coffee," said Elle, while Hewitt ran around, laughing excitedly. Elle sighed softly, feeling her heart sink. She just wanted kids. She just wanted kids, and here Cassie was, holding her little Hewitt right in front of her with such happiness in her eyes. 

The little family sat down, and Hewitt, with his strawberry blonde hair and his eyes a bright blue grinned at Elle, hugging her. "Hi Auntie Ellie!"

"Hey, sweetie," she said, giving him a kiss on the top of his head. She loved him to pieces. She did, truly, but she just wished that she could have a little someone like him. A tiny little Drew running around the house would absolutely make her heart sing. 

Four years of unsuccessful pregnancies had waned on her, and she was no longer the woman she had been. She wasn't strong, she wasn't herself. She could feel that she was slipping slowly into the hole that had consumed her once before. She was losing energy. She was losing motivation.

Cassie and Adrian sat down, and Hewitt played with Drew. "How are you two, anyway?" asked Cassie with a grin. "You both look great."

"We're good. How's work?" asked Elle politely.

"It's amazing! We're planning on moving soon," he said, and she smiled, nodding because Drew was still stuck at a shitty job that overworked him. 

"That's so good to hear!" said Drew before letting Hewitt down. He ran to Elle, and she smiled softly, kissing him on the top of his head. He smiled a massive smile, with tiny teeth sticking out through his gums. 

"Mommy said that she has a surprise!" he said.

"A surprise?"

"Yeah! Can I tell, Mommy? Can I?"

Adrian laughed. "You wanna say it?"

"Yes!"

"Go on, then," said Cassie with a smile.

"I'm gonna have a baby sister!" he announced. 

Elle forced a huge smile onto her face, and Cassie let a real one appear on hers. "We're four months along."

She could see Drew straining to look happy for them too. "Congrats, you guys," he said weakly. 

"We're really excited too, we've started decorating the room and everything."

"That's... that's so good to hear," said Elle quietly. "Congratulations."

"We haven't told Hunter and Ryan yet, but-"

"Yeah, that's understandable. When are you telling them?" asked Elle. 

"Soon, we hope." 

Once they had tea and chatted for a few minutes longer, Cassie left with Adrian and Hewitt, and Elle was washing the dishes while the radio played soft music. Drew was sweeping, and Elle's hands trembled, before she dropped the plate. It shattered into pieces, and Drew's head snapped up. "Ellie?"