Chapter Sixty-Three

*truth defined*

"Oi, we're here!"

Spencer looked up from his book and Pippi cheered. "Beach house!"

"Hope the ride wasn't too long, my boy," said Liam, and Spencer shook his head.

"No, sir. It was fine."

"You sound just like the Commies in the barracks, you know. Just like 'em." He chuckled, and Harper quickly kissed his cheek.

"You're retired from active duty, Private," she said with a smile. "Let's get our bags in."

"Spence, hope you don't mind sharing a room with me?" asked Oliver, and Spencer's heart skipped a beat.

"Not at all."

"Great. We're going to be up in the attic, it's nice up there and we can see the beach."

"I get the basement," announced Pippi. "It's real nice, loads of surfing things. I love it."

"I'm glad you like it so much," said Spencer, and Oliver punched him with a chuckle.

"Alright, well, it's time to unpack. Spence, Oli, the waves are looking good today, so I'd say get out there before it gets dark."

"Yes, Mum!" Oliver grabbed Spencer's arm and their suitcases. "Come on, let's go! Come!"

"Coming, coming." 

<><><><><><><><>

Phoenix woke up to find Ebony clearing up quickly. "We need to get going," she said curtly.

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"Eb, slow down, hon. Please," said Phoenix gently, and Ebony slowed, beginning to cry again.

"I'm sorry, Nick-"

"Why? Why are you sorry?" He kissed her forehead. "I love you. I can't wait to have a baby. The two of us having kids, that's all I could ever ask for."

"What if... what if something goes wrong?"

"If something goes wrong, then we work through it. Together."

"How did this even happen?" she whispered. "We always... used protection..."

"Hey, shit happens," said Phoenix with a shrug. "It just happened, and that's that. No accident, no mistake. Just our lives. It's okay."

"What?"

"Maybe this was meant to happen. Fate, y'know? Maybe God wants us to have a kid now. That's okay."

Ebony sighed slightly, wiping her eyes. "I hate crying. You know how much I hate crying."

"Yeah, 'course I do. I know everything about you, remember?" he said easily, kissing her forehead. 

"I can't... stop crying. I wish I could. I hate this, Nick."

"Oh, baby, I know," said Phoenix quietly. "I'm sorry that you're scared and you feel alone, but I promise you're not alone. You never have been, and you never will be. I'll be here every step of the way."

"You're so gross," she said, letting out a half-hearted laugh through a sob. "Sap."

"I'm only a sap around you, baby." He kissed her softly, sweetly. "I love you so much."

"You're still f*cking gross, though."

"Fair." He pulled away, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear and letting his hand trace over her scar. "So, wanna go sightseeing while we travel up to Vegas?"