Chapter Four

❝overreact (pronounced əʊvərɪˈakt or oh-ver-ree-akt), verb
respond more emotionally or forcibly than is justified.❞

Robin was sitting down, making a necklace instead of a bracelet, and Spencer sat on the ground, looking through magazines and drawing on the pictures. She heard her parents talking, and slowly made her way into the kitchen, where she sat down. They didn't notice her sitting there.

"Hunter, it's the wrong-"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. Will it not work with beef?"

"The recipe is for chicken, I specifically asked you to buy me chicken, and you bought beef! I just needed to get the right meat for once, they cook differently, I don't know how we can-"

"Breathe, Ry," he said, putting his hands on her shoulders, and she sighed. "Just breathe for me. Okay?"

She shook her head. "I... Hunt, the recipe..."

"Let's make something else tonight. I'll make sure to get chicken tomorrow, I promise. But right now, let's just make something normal. Something we haven't made in a while. What's something you enjoy having?"

She shrugged slightly. "I dunno."

"How about those amazing Swedish meatballs they have at Ikea? You can make them better, they probably make theirs from flatpacks," he joked, and she laughed slightly. "No, really! Let's just make those, huh?"

She sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just so tense, and my dyslexia's been really bad-"

"No, don't be sorry." He hugged her gently. "I'll start mincing the meat."

Ryan turned, and noticed Robin. "Hey, honey!" she said, and Hunter suddenly noticed her as well. "I didn't see you there."

"I have a headache," she said softly.

"Hmm. Let's drink some water and rest for a bit, okay?" said her mother gently. Hunter smiled slightly. "Maybe some kickboxing will make you feel better?"

"Maybe."

"Let's get you hydrated first." She filled a glass with water and added Kool-Aid. "Here. It's your favourite."

Robin took a sip of the green liquid. "Thank you, Mama."

"Go take a rest," she said.

Hunter watched Robin leave the room. "You're a fantastic mother."

"I try."

He smiled gently. "After we put the kids to bed, I'll help you read. Would you like that?"

"That'd be lovely," said Ryan. She began finding spices.

Hunter sighed. "I really am sorry for getting the wrong meat."

"I overreacted."

They were both being so much kinder to each other. So much more normal. This was natural for both of them, and it was something that made sense. They fought sometimes, but they weren't actively trying to hurt the other, to make the other feel what they felt. The air felt lighter, and the house was a little happier again.

"I've been thinking," said Hunter, leaning on the table.

"We should take a photo, Lynette would be proud," said Ryan flatly, though a small smile crept up on her lips. He shoved her playfully, and she laughed. "Go on, then?"

"We should move."

"Move?"

"I don't know where, just- just somewhere bigger than here. This house holds too many memories for me. It's overwhelming."