Chapter Forty-Five

❝indispensable (pronounced ɪndɪˈspɛnsəb(ə)l or in-di-spen-suh-buh l), adjective
absolutely necessary.❞

"Spencer, what on Earth happened to your hand?!" said Ryan in shock as Spencer tried to silently take a bag of frozen pizza pockets as an ice pack.

"I fell on it," he said quietly.

"It's swollen like a balloon, honey!" she said, instantly sitting him down and giving him a glass of water. "Did you get on the bus like this? Did no one notice?"

"Ma, I'm fine," he muttered. "I'm not two anymore."

"Correct, you're twelve, and you should know better than to not go to the nurse's office," she said angrily, taking a look at his wrist. "Gosh, honey, I think you've sprained it."

"No kidding," he muttered. "I thought it was fine."

"Don't you give me sass, Spencer Lark. How did you fall this badly?"

"I fell off the monkey bars."

Her green eyes pierced his blue ones, and he gulped slightly. She could see through any lie that he tried to tell. "Now, you and I both know that you have more balance than a trapeze artist, don't we?" she asked very softly. "Why did you fall off the monkey bars?"

"I'm telling the truth-"

"And I don't dispute that. But why did you fall, when you've never fallen before?"

"No reason," he said.

Her eyebrows merely quirked up slightly, but he kept his face straight. Eventually, she sighed. "Let's get Aunt Rose. She'll be able to help with this, I don't want to bandage it wrong in case it's worse than just a sprain."

"Ma, I didn't-"

"I know. I know you didn't mean to." She smoothed a hand over his fringe and kissed his head gently. Her hand cupped his cheek, the soft texture of it calming him down immensely. "But I expect the truth out of you soon. Very soon."

"Yes Ma," he said quietly, and she left quickly, grabbing her keys and pulling a jacket over her ratty old t-shirt.

"Let's get going, hmm? Are you hungry?"

"Not really."

"Okay, love. I'll get you a bagel, okay? I know you like the cream cheese bagels at the cafe downtown."

"Yes, Ma."

"I'll try make you a sling, okay?" she said, getting a scarf from the coat rack and fashioning it into a sling for his wrist. "It'll be easier to hold up that way."

"Thank you."

"Let's go."

<><><><><><><><>

"Japan is so beautiful," said Elle softly, looking out over the balcony of the Starbucks they were at. She had gotten a passionfruit and yoghurt milkshake, and Drew had a butterscotch iced coffee.

"It is, isn't it?" he said softly. "Just like you, sweetheart."

"You're gross," she said, nudging his foot under the table, and Drew took her hand, looking out over the incredible view. "How was Museum Ghibli?"

"It was so amazing, Ellie," he said, his eyes immediately brightening. "Holy shit, I just- wow. Wow."

"I know how much you love-"

"Totoro! And No-Face and Ponyo and Lady Eboshi-"

"You dork," she laughed. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself."