Chapter Thirty-Six

❝happy (pronounced ˈhapi or hap-ee), adjective
feeling or showing pleasure or contentment.❞  

Ebony was standing outside, watching over the railing, and Phoenix walked up behind her, looking up at him and smiling. "I can't believe tonight was real."

"I'm just happy for you, my darling," said Phoenix, putting his arm around her waist and holding her. "I can't believe it finally happened. Things are working out for you."

"For us," she corrected. "I'm just so happy."

"I know." He kissed her. "It's wonderful to see you so happy."

She looked out over the railing again, her eyes sparkling in the darkness. "I never thought this would happen. Y'know? Like, it's so..."

"Unexpected?"

"Exactly. Unexpected."

He pulled out a box from behind his back. "I think it's about time I gave this to you."

"You got me something?! I told you not to!"

"Well, it's nothing compared to what your parents got you, but it's something." He kissed her. "Happy birthday."

She opened the box and a tiny smile crept onto her lips. "Is this a raven?"

The tiny raven, carved out of wood, was small enough to sit in the palm of her hand. She looked closer at it. "It's so beautiful."

"I've never worked with wood before, but Drew, my brother, he has. So he helped me."

"And the wood is-"

"Ebony, of course."

She hugged him. "It's beautiful. Thank you so much."

He kissed her again, letting his hand tangle through her long hair. "You know, I don't tell you how beautiful you are enough," he said softly, kissing her nose. "I wish we had some time to ourselves again."

"We will soon," she said gently. "I've been thinking about... some stuff."

"Stuff? Hopefully not break-up stuff?"

"No, no," she said with a slight chuckle. "The opposite. I was going to ask you how you feel about..."

"Sex?" he asked.

"Y-Yeah, I guess."

"I've nothing against it if you don't, but I want you to be sure if we do anything," he said, his cheeks going red at the mere prospect of it. She laughed slightly.

"Look at you, going all red."

"Don't make fun of me," he said with a slight pout, and she chuckled again.

"As long as we're safe, and I don't get pregnant-"

"No, I'm not ready to be a father."

"I'm not quite ready to be a mother," she responded. She leaned up slightly, nuzzling her nose against his, and kissed him again. "I think we know how to be careful."

"You're sure?" he breathed. "I mean, you're not obliged to, and-"

"I'm sure. I've thought about it enough. I love you."

"Good."

The door opened behind them, and Phoenix and Ebony turned around. "Nick, honey, your cab is here to pick you up."

"Okay." He kissed Ebony's forehead, and hugged her gently. "I'll see you at school."

"Bye, Apple."