15

To believe that what you want and what Allah(S.W) wants for you is one in the same thing had to be one of the most difficult things Rayhannah had ever practised - apart from subra (patience) that is. She had talked to the image on the mirror a million times telling it that Muhammad feels the same way or will eventually feel the same way - one day one time. So as she sat on her bed with her phone held too close to her eyes, she didn't think that at that moment in time, things will get waaaaay easier for both of these souls.

"Rayhannah! Come down here for a second. I need you to help me with something." She heard her mom call out to her. She placed her phone on her bed and proceeded to the kitchen but just before she left, her phone vibrated. But she thought to herself, 'Mama will always come first' as she jogged to the kitchen only to find her mom's head stuck under the sink.

"Mom?" She said a little surprised since her mom was never the kind to touch anything that could stain her hands, or even hair, but at that point in time she was doing both and her hair looked as messed up as it could possibly look.

"Alhamdulilah you heard me. Okay, I was washing the dishes but I don't know what happened today I didn't put on my gloves and then Khaleed rang me so as I was looking for my phone with my hands still in the sink vicinity, and guess what happened. I lost my ring."

Ya Allah! Baba had literally just bought her that ring. It was an amazing Victoria Canera ring. Hand forged in platinum, 1.9 caret of hearts and arrows diamond and mama had loved it to say the least. She had insisted that Abu Rayhannah propose to her all over again and her dad being the romantic man that he is, arranged a whole surprise for her.

He got flowers, chocolates, a pianist, everything that mama could have possibly wished for. He made supper and shocked them all as none of them knew that he could cook a decent meal let alone an amazing flambé. He got them to clean the house, them being Khaleed, Umar, MUHAMMAD, Nusaibah, Khawla and Rayhannah. And paid each of ten dollars and since everyone else was acting modest, Rayhannah took all the money.

"Now Rayhannah if you don't stop making such weird faces I'm gonna have to ask you to leave right now!" Mama said dragging her out of my her thoughts.

"I'm sorry mama. I was just think about the trouble that dad went through just so that he could..." The sight of tears in her mom's eyes stopped her in her tracks. "But we'll find it. We've always been the best at finding things right?" She nodded, half to make her see that she believed her and the other half to get her to stop talking.

After an hour of searching the whole kitchen, she asked her mom if they should just call a plumber since the sink tubes were the only place they hadn't checked yet.

"No! Habib is best friends with our plumber. If he gets to know that at one point I lost the ring, he'd not become angry, that I know! But sadness would overcome him simply because I didn't tel him. So I'd rather not."

"Muhammad! Muhammad Nurein! The good looking guy who is friends with Khaleed and Umar. When Khaleed dropped your dad's gem in the sink, he is the one who got it out right? Sooooo go tell Khaleed to call him this instant. Tell him it's urgent. Come on Rayhannah, ruuuuun!" Mama shouted, as she always did when she figured something out.

She went to Khaleed's room and explained to him what had happened and then finally told him what mama had said. Khaleed couldn't help but laugh because he had laid down a bet with Umar that by the course of the week, his mom would have already lost the ring at least once. He walked over to his phone and called Muhammad who surprised him when he said he was around the corner and would be there in two minutes.

"He's almost here, go get your scarf." Khaleed told a Rayhannah whom he'd lost from the second he said Muhammad was almost arriving. She took to the steps, two at a time not minding how absurd she looked.

When she got to her room, she decided she would stay there and only come out if her mom called out for her. She jumped on her bed and winced as she hit something hard with her knee. Her phone!

She switched it on and was surprised to see a that a number she didn't recognize had texted her.

Salaams Rayhannah. This is Muhammad Nurein, Khawla's brother. She gave me your number and asked me to tell you that she will be dropping by your place later this afternoon. Her phone fell into the pool and it's not functioning right now. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Maasalam.

She read the message like 2937192728 times just to make sure that the names Rayhannah and Muhammad Nurein were actually there and she wasn't imagining anything. Khawla had so many questions to answer later that afternoon but first, Rayhannah was struggling to get her heart to beat at a normal rate.

"Rayhannaaaaaaaaaaah!"

'Mom!' She thought to herself, 'that's definitely mom calling me. Ya Karim! Why is she calling me? We only have one sink! The supplies are all in one compartment so why does she need me!?!?'

She tied her hijab firmly and went downstairs only to be met by the one person she hoped she wouldn't see, Muhammad Nurein.

"Hayaty, please put hot water in the kettle and boil it for Muhammad please. He needs it to make retrieving the ring easier." Her mom said as she pointed to the hot water kettle that was on the stove. 

Five minutes and three hot water kettles later, Ummu Rayhannah was jumping up and down with joy as she held her ring in her hands. Yes it was covered with grease but it was better that not having it at all. She kissed Muhammad's cheeks over and over again and it was obviously weird for him.

"Aww my son. I would give you anything in this world wallahy. Even Rayhannah's hand in marriage." The words slipped right out of Ummu Rayhannah's mouth before she could contemplate what those words would do to these two young teenagers.

Rayhannah shifted uncomfortably as Muhammad rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly with his eyes fixed to the ground.

"What? You don't like her? Is she not pretty?" Ummu Rayhannah asked with an aim of making this less awkward but she was making it worse.

"No! It's not like that. She's beautiful Masha Allah!" Muhammad said a little softly and if he'd raised his eyes to Rayhannah's side of the room, he'd see she'd turned a deep shade of red as she shuffled her feet.

"Umm... Mom, I'm going to my room. And shukraan Muhammad. For coming to my mama's rescue and for the compliment. Baarakallahu Feekum."

Rayhannah had never been that embarrassed before in her whole life. She rushed upstairs leaving Muhammad and her mom stranded with nothing to say to each other. On the other side of the room, Khaleed and Umar had their ears plastered to the wall and any second now, they'd burst out laughing.

"Umm.. I'll take my leave." Muhammad managed to say and when he was about to leave, Rayhannah's mom hugged him. She was so short and thin so when he reciprocated the hug, he felt like he was crushing her.

"Pray about it," she whispered and he almost choked. She left the room leaving him as confused as ever but a burden that he didn't know was on his shoulder lifted. At that moment his phone vibrated and as he took it out he would never have guessed who the sender would be.

From: Hayaty

Waaleikum Salaam. Khawla has always been the clumsy one. Shukraan for relaying the message.  I appreciate it. And no inconvenience was caused. Fii Amanillah 💞

At this point Muhammad had to sit down to stop the room from spinning. Because he's happily ever after was coming sooner than he had planned.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I'm so excited to see what will happen next because I honestly just write. I don't plan. I don't do anything. I didnt even know that Muhammad was good with plumbing stuff but oh well!

Maasalam