42

"Babe! I'm at the door. Coooome!" Nusaibah said to Khawla before she disconnected the call. The girls hadn't spent time together in along time and when an opportunity presented itself, both girls jumped at it.

"Muhammad, Nusaibah is here. So I need you to stay in your room. The minute I have her upstairs I'll text you. Okay!?" He nodded as he made his way into his room. He was glad his sister had the friends she had, for they made her a better Muslimah by the minute. And he was also glad he had a favorite.

Khawla rushed to the door and opened it only to find Nusaibah covered by paperbags. "I come bearing gifts."

"Owww, sweetheart you didn't have to. Thanks though." She helped with some of the bags as they made their way to her room. Khawla instantly texted Muhammad for she knew he had to go to the mosque to see Umar and Khaleed. Candy, bracelets and more candy! Nusaibah knew Khawla so well, and so did Khawla. She knew beyond reasonable doubt that when Nusaibah brought that much candy, they needed to talk about something less tasty.

"My Nusaibah. I've missed you. Tell me. How's everything!?"

"Ever since the lunch we had!?"

"I think it was difficult for everyone in the room wallahy. Even my mom! For she told me after that afternoon, that she hadn't see Amo Ramy since the mixup that costed her her father. Not that she blames him for anything."

"I think for me, the most difficult part was seeing Khaleed struggle around Maryam. For at that exact moment, I was struggling around him."

"These feelings suck!"

"You wouldn't know! Everything is going the way you want."
Khawla was shocked. What!? Nusaibah didn't just say that out loud, did she!? How could she say that!

"I'm so sorry. It just slipped."

"Because you thought it and you've been believing in it this whole time. You think seeing you struggle is a piece of cake for me? Truly Nusaibah you have shocked me." The candy wasn't tasting right anymore.  

"Khawla I'm sorry."

"No! Get out! Go away. And take your candy with you!" Nusaibah was left dumbfounded. How could Khawla do that to her? All she needed was for her to listen and understand her at that exact time for her heart was breaking in ways that caused her tremendous pain.

"Didn't you hear me!? I said get out!" The words slashed right at Nusaibah's heart and when she got to the door, Khawla started laughing. She turned around only to see her fighting to breath.

"Oh! You should have seen the look on your face! You were like whaaat!?"

"Khawla you make the most insensitive jokes wallahy."

"I know my baby, but that's what makes me, me. Anyway, let's talk about you and Khaleed. No lies, no filters."

"It hurts. I have never been the type to like guys or talk to them and you know it. But we connected from day one and all I could think of was when will he text next!? When will I see him? And I was almost a hundred percent sure he felt the same way. And Ummu Khaleed was so kind to me so I thought, maybe just maybe he had told her about what he feels and that he asked her to send me some kinds of signs. You know!? With Khaleed I couldn't wait for swalah because mentioning him in my prayers made me feel so alive and lucky. Lucky that I knew him well enough to know what he would want from Allah. And with time that connection dimmed and I told myself it was because of the halaqah he was in. That it was taking too much of his time. If only I knew the real reason wallahy! But I'm grateful you know. For all this. Because he's made me a better person in a few months than I ever have motivated myself to become my whole life.  Does it kill me? Seeing him get excited over Maryam, yeeeea it does! But he is happy. And that's all that's truly mattered. You remember the day I told you I had a blood donation thingy I had to host?"
Khawla nodded affirmative.

"He showed up. After I knew he had feelings for Maryam and I blew up. Literally. Because he kept treating me like a sister when all I could think was how much I love him in a non brotherly kinda way. You know!?"
She nodded again and before they could continue, Khawla's phone rang.

Khaldo

"If you don't want me to answer I won't hayaty," she said as she showed the caller ID to Nusaibah, who told her to answer.

"Assalamu Aleikum Khaleed,"

"Waaleikum Salaaaaaaaaaam Warahmatullahy Wabarakatuh habibty, hows my little girl!?"

"Alhamdulillah I'm good, you?"

"I'm good too. Mama is making lasagne for supper tonight and she was asking if you would want to drop in and have it with us."

"Awwwwww that's so sweet of her. I'll tell Muhammad to ask mama for permission then I'll give you a heads up."

"He's already done that. All we need is your yes and we are good to go."

"Definitely!"

"Okay bye habibty. I have to call Nusaibah and Maryam too."

"Quite the lasagne she is making!" Khawla said with a laugh.

"Let's just say she wants a reason to have us all in one room. Says she loves the aura that comes from it. Quite the drama queen!"

"Hahaha okay bye. I'll be there in a few."
She told her what he'd said and Nusaibah shook her head.

"I can't go. Please don't talk me out of it. Just let me be."
Khawla nodded.

"You were talking about your event." She reminded her.

Nusaibah told her of what she did and Khawla being Khawla laughed her head off. It was why these two always got along. Whenever one needed a shoulder it was always there, and whenever one needed a divertion it too, was always there. But Khawla knew there were things she had to say, so she whispered Bismillah and began.

"There are things I have never said. Khaleed means alot to me. He is a friend that I cherish and I will not deny that. But I will also not sit and let you sulk over what has passed. For wallahy if it was of any good for you, Allah would have made it stay. You are an amazing soul. Whether or not you believe it that's your problem. But you doubting it doesn't stop it from being true. I love you so much wallahy and all I can think of is Allah is putting you through all this because He loves you and He knows your strength. Nusaibah! I won't tell you I understand whatever is going on but I'm telling you that in every single step I'm here. I am here for us to cry together, for us to regret stuff together, and for us to laugh together. Because I value you so much and seeing you hurting alone kills me. You never talk about what you feel and I keep asking myself don't I make you feel comfortable enough! You are always in my prayers hayaty. And I know Allah is listening. I have no doubt. I repeat, I truly am here for you. Always. That's a promise I'm going to stand by till the day I die. For the love I have for you knows no bounds. Always hayaty. Always."

"DON'T MAKE ME CRYYYY! ITS THE ONE DAY I APPLIED EYELINER!" Nusaibah shouted, trying to lighten the mood and it worked, for the two girls fell with their backs on the floor laughing. Finding a friend in this world is an easy task. But finding one who loved you purely for the sake of Allah and who hurt along with you was a task. But these two girls had found each other, and they knew black and white that their Jannah would be incomplete without each other so deep in their hearts, at the same time, they both whispered. 'Ya Allah! Please grant her Jannah. And may my Jannah have her in it."

Author's note:
Assalamu Aleikuuuuuuuuuuuum Warahmatullahy Wabarakatuh. I'm so happy Alhamdulillah, hope all of you are happy and content too. Learn to accept situations the way they are and Allah will give you way more. Anywaaaaay, I wanna tell you of this book I've been reading (books actually - 2) . Give them a read and you might fall in love with the characters the way I did. The author is nasranalha