20: Lovers Lane

"Do you know who this is?" Ben asked. "I was meaning to ask you yesterday but I forgot" I glanced at the screen of his phone to see the text message that Layla had sent him. He hadn't replied.

"That's Layla's number" I said while looking at my phone, texting Colton who desperately wanted me to come over. Truthfully I was still frustrated, but I couldn't stay mad at the guy who made me forget how to breathe.

    "Oh, isn't she the one who has a crush on me?" He asked, while typing into the screen of his phone. I looked his way and nodded, although my brain was focused on other things at the moment.

      "Are you texting her back?" I asked nonchalantly. I looked up when he didn't respond and suddenly grew more interested when I saw his fingers typing away at the screen.

"No I'm texting The guys. I think we might go to a strip club tonight"he said. For a second I truly believed him and I really thought that he was for real. But after a while I knew he was joking and only kidding around with me.

"You're kidding." I said while letting a laugh escape my lips. Ben didn't laugh. He just looked at me.

    "Why would I be kidding" He said, looking at me in the eyes. I flinched, a shot of jealousy shot threw my veins. I didn't even know why, it just happened. I wasn't in control of it.

    "Oh"  I said, a look of hurt crossed my face.

   "You shouldn't care that much Elizabeth. You have Colton to hang out with" Ben said like it didn't matter. I don't know, but I cared more than anything. I hated it how he was such a player, how he went to strip clubs and hung out with every hot girl he saw. It was almost like I wanted him to hang out with me, and me only. I wanted to feel special.

It was unbelievably greedy and selfish of me, but my feelings simply wouldn't allow anything else.  I couldn't begin to explain the way I felt, for it would only complicate things more.

      "But I do care" I said honestly. I saw a smile start to form its way on Ben's lips from each corner of his mouth, but he quickly wiped it away and grabbed my shoulders.

       "Elizabeth. Have fun with your boyfriend, and I'll have fun with strippers. Seriously, it will be okay - unless they ganged up and murder
me, but hey. "  Ben laughed, which somehow made me feel better.  I chuckled too and sighed before texting Colton back - telling him that I was free for tonight. 

_________________________

Later that evening, about 8 pm when the sky started to turn shades of pink and orange - Colton drove me out to the local make out spot. It was known as Lovers lane , and from my understanding, every town had one. It was a small gravel parking lot that overlooked a river, secluded in the middle of the woods where few people went during the night.

It was very pretty, especially now when the pink hue of the sky shone into the river perfectly. It was almost the perfect date, and one perfect way to spend my evening.

"Have you ever been here before?" He asked me as he parked the car In front of the railing that prevented cars from taking a tumble into the water. He turned to look at me and gave me a happy smile, one that warmed my heart. I shook my head.

"Yeah, but not with someone that's as hot as you are" I said, with a small laugh. I soon decided that I was not good at flirting.

I instantly remembered when Peter Matthews took me here in 10th grade, it was our first date and it was also my first time ever coming here. I - of course - wasn't aware of his intentions and let's just say the date didn't last more than an hour. I never told Ben about it, because it was something I knew he would've blew completely out of proportion.