28; I should've kissed him

We were sitting in the living room after we swam, my hair was jumbled in a curly mess and I wore one of my sun dresses that was yellow and orange. Colton had his arm wrapped around me protectively while he chatted with Carson. The whole atmosphere was relaxing as the sunbeams shown in through the open window, and you could tell the sun was setting fast.

          "Anyone wanna come to town with me?" Carson sighed as he stood up from the couch. Everyone turned their heads to look at him as he spoke.

    "What do you need in town?" Colton asked while he took a sip from his pop. It was quite surprising that he was drinking something other than a beer.

    "Oh you know, I need some drinks and some condoms.  Rebekah and I used them all last night so.." He said which a dirty smirk. Colton laughed.

"On second thought, I'm fresh-out of condoms as well. " Colton said with a laugh. In that moment I instantly froze, as did almost everyone in the room. Inside, my heart was beating so fast I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown. 

"No way. Elizabeth and you fuck? I didn't think she was a dirty girl" Carson said shocked.

Kill
Me
Now

I wanted to scream. To yell to them that Colton was lying! That what he was saying wasn't anywhere close to true. But for some reason I couldn't get the words of frustration to come out. I couldn't force myself to spill the the truth. I just let him go on and lie to everyone about our nonexistent sex life.  I mean, what was I supposed to do? I was mad, but more than anything, I was embarrassed to the point of being a tomato. I would've rather slipped and fell on a banana peel than for everyone to believe what was coming out of Colton's mouth. My whole body went rigid.

   "Yeah. Right Elizabeth?" He asked. He looked at me in a certain way that made me shiver. My whole body went ridged and I found my eyes drifting to look at Ben. He didn't look happy, not at all. In fact, he looked completely pissed off. I grew more embarrassed by the second just by looking at Ben's disappointment.

      "Yeah" I muttered. I only went along with the lie because of Colton's persistent glare that drilled into my eyes.  I couldn't breathe when Carson smirked and punched Colton in the arm.

      "Well at least you get to fuck a girl with a big ass" He said with the loudest laugh that everyone heard. Rebekah yelled with a soft giggle and got up to hit Carson in the arm playfully. Ben stood up and immediately left the room, while everyone else left the house in a following manner.

I was left by myself and all I really wanted to do was cry.  The embarrassment I felt couldn't be compared to anything else. All that kept running through my mind was Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben.

What if he thought I slept with Colton after I told Him that I thought he was right, that Colton was using me. Ben was so disappointed I could see it in his eyes, the way they sunk and the way his light-hearted smile instantly transformed into a frown as soon as Colton spoke.

Everything made my heart plummet to the ground and I knew I had dug a hole so deep it was too late to resurface.

When Colton returned later that night I was chilling in the bed, reading a book that was randomly on the bookshelf. Except inside I wasn't really reading, I was thinking so hard I could hear my heartbeat. Colton threw the plastic bag on the ground beside the bed and climbed on top. His eyes full of lust. He looked drunk, and I could smell the beer on his breath when he spoke.