Ch.6 A Captain's Invitation

A Captain's Invitation

I get back to my apartment and shuck off my wet, ruined clothes. Naked, I want to have a shower but not before I find the card Dale gave me first. So, I quickly look on my tiny desk, but for some reason it's not there either. It was probably on the floor under my clothes from last night. I kick around what's on the ground and still can't find it.

Argh. I give up.

Sighing in frustration, I turn towards my shower and walk in. The water was only free for the first five minutes each day so I have a short sweet break from reality under the pounding shower head.

Personal hygiene was important to the Government, so most people individually were nice and clean. However, the streets were always a mess. Being cut off from the rest of the New World, we had only our resources to use. A lot of shit ended up on the street and no-where else, especially when rubbish trucks were so rare these days.

I hop out of the shower, wrap myself up in a towel and lay down on my bed. Did I forget to mention that I had to replace my pillows at least twice a week? If I lay down softly enough, it didn't matter, but eventually the material would be inevitably cut to shreds.

I hear my phone play a tune and my whole body physically cringes.

That would no doubt be an important call from Red headquarters. Hopefully not Prof. Hedgy.

I reach my hand onto the floor where my bag is. I rummage through until I find my phone and I answer it, putting it to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask.

"You left before I could hand out my invitation," Oh my gosh. It was James.

"Captain," I answer formally, "As you well know I have an important mission to complete within the next 6 days, I have a lot on my plate, partying isn't –"

"I don't care if you come or not," he snaps, sounding forced, which makes me furrow my eyebrows, "What government block do you live in?"

"What?" I ask, in disbelief, "How do you know I live in a GB?"

"I've seen you walk home –... Ah, I didn't mean it like that. We scout the city a lot," James sounds nervous all of a sudden, "What number? I'm dropping off the invitation you forgot to pick up."

"26," I cringe telling yet another soul where I lived. Was this really a refuge anymore?

James the Brains hangs up without saying goodbye and I stay on my bed, letting out a sigh of frustration.

I'm about to sit up when there is a sudden smash behind me.

A jump to my feet, twirling around with my hands curled into fists. My eyes widen and my fists drop to my side when I see my plastic window completely smashed in, a strong veiny hand grips the sill of the window as another one shoves in a little piece of paper.

"Sorry...!" he calls out as he drops down to the first level.

I shove on some slippers and walk to my shattered window. I look out to see James the Brains waltzing off down the sidewalk like he was so damn proud of himself.

Did he think jumping up to my second floor to smash in my window, just to drop off an invitation, would impress me? I'd say in his confident swagger – yes. Yes, he did.

I punch in his number, but he doesn't answer. It goes straight to voice mail, 'Hi, um, yeah, you've called James, you know I'm busy protecting and saving lives so maybe call another time?'

"You better pay for that broken window," I snarl into the phone, hanging up just to see the phone light up again.

This time it's my mother. Oh, fantastic, just what I needed.