Ch.48 Brownie's New Pet

Brownie's New Pet

It's a nice feeling waking up to a freshly laundered leotard and, I think it's a joke, but there are some pain killers and water on the bedside table. Very funny beasts indeed. However, it still truthfully makes me smile. I ignore the drugs and just take the water. Then, after I shower and put on my leotard I head up the lift. It's the hours of the early morning by now and I am both refreshed and curious to see what my Brownie Squad have been plotting with our prisoner; Daniel. Aka, Inertia.

When the lift hits level 1, HB, I expect to hear heavy interrogation from either STRIKE or my girls or even perhaps silence if everyone had gone to bed. Instead, I hear feminine laughter and a kid swearing. That kid being Casey. As I walk up to his open bedroom door, I stick my head in to see him playing a video game with Viola by his side, her fist is in the air and clenched high in anticipation as he battles a boss to the end in some form of shooting game.

"Absolute BS!" Casey snarls out and throws his controller behind him, when I see his character onscreen, lose as the screen flashes red. Viola gasps and my hand rises up in quick defence to stop the controller colliding with my head. It hits one of my nails and a crack appears on the controller as it bounces off my hand and crashes to the ground.

"Uh..." I take a step back and watch Casey swivel in his chair to witness me and then his broken controller.

He gasps as Viola gasps again. Then he jumps to his feet in a rage.

"A-Alyssa!" he growls through gritted teeth, a vein popping in his head as he holds back from obviously a bad need to swear.

"My bad, I can make you pancakes?" I ask, "...and you did throw it at my head, regardless, you could have broken it that way-"

"I know, okay?" Casey waves his hands through the air dramatically, "Everyone always tells me to be careful and not to break things. I'm very careful. Very damn careful."

"You broke STRIKE, the car," I murmur, rubbing it in but only because his rage was cute.

Viola has an electronic digital wrist band that lights up with a message, before holding it up so I can see 'Anger Issues' and an arrow pointed to Casey as she continues to sit beside him on a stool.

"Let's talk about pancakes, Alyssa. We have fresh brownies too, by the way," Casey calms himself and holds out a hand to V.

Viola rolls her eyes and stands up, heading towards me with her arms outstretched. I give her a careful hug and pass an utterly offended Casey a wink as he continues to gape after V's rejection. He then blushes as she spins and clicks her fingers at him, to hurry him up.

"Don't-" Casey can't finish as V slips around me and heads for the kitchen.

"The promise of pancakes and fresh brownies will win every time with girls, Casey," I pass Casey an apologetic tight lipped smile and he grabs a black robe off his chair, pulling it around his PJs.

"To the kitchen," Casey then copies V and clicks his fingers at me to tell me to get going. I just stand back and wait for him to pass by. When he approaches, he glances up at my glare and he smiles sheepishly, "Soz, mum," he murmurs and runs off while I now look after him, confused again.

My heart beats a bit faster in happiness and adrenaline. I was quickly becoming a maternal figure to that boy, a real leader and role model. That type of responsibility was both exciting and very heavy to have on one's shoulders. Especially in this environment.

I follow Casey and Viola into the kitchen where I find Strawberry and Raven playing cards and Blue talking to Daniel... who is unrestrained. They are all seated at the huge dining table.