Ch.7 Wet Gun

Wet Gun

I'm wearing killer high-heels, a short red dress with no straps and black, glossy lipstick. I've literally spent hours getting ready to look this good. I'm so focused on my appearance to rock James' world and show everyone at his party I was more important than a lone suicide mission just because I was someone's type in looks and they had no one else to fit the role.

It's almost time to leave when there is a knock at my door.

I get my hopes up that it will be James to take me to his party and I open the door while biting my lip.

I don't expect for my eyes to travel down towards a little kid. He looks about eight years old, with striking blonde hair and contrasting dark eyes. His hand is holding a little box and a letter.

It looks like a present.

"Hello, is everything alright?" I ask, not sure if he lives here or is just a visitor.

The boy smiles and reaches out his free hand to shake mine with. I take his hand and give him what he wants, shaking his hand very gently so I don't accidentally injure him. After our quick introduction he continues to hold out the box and letter towards me.

"My name is Casey," he introduces himself, smiling, "My dad told me to give you this."

"Your dad?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm his adopted son," he tells me like I should know, "Are you going on a date with him tonight?"

"What?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows, "Does James have a son?"

"James?" Casey looks utterly offended as I speak out with, apparently, the wrong name.

Casey pauses, puzzled, but then he just ends up shrugging while seemingly disapproving of me now.

"...what?" I ask, also confused.

"So you're dating two guys?" Casey reluctantly lets me take the present and then crosses his arms over his chest.

I hold it with both hands and look at the present with confusion, I wonder if he had the wrong door?

"No, I'm not dating two guys," I deny, and add, "...but I do have a date tonight. I don't think it's your –" my mouth hangs open as I suddenly realise what I've missed from the start.

Dale.

I had forgotten about him.

"My dad doesn't buy gifts for girls he doesn't like," Casey explains, like he is still unsure of how stupid I am.

Right now, I felt pretty-damn stupid.

"Do me a favour," I get down on my knees, biting my lip as I try to think of a way to get Casey to like me, perhaps the truth was the only way to fix this, "Don't tell your dad I'm going on a date tonight. We just met yesterday, I had no idea he wanted to date me," was this the truth though? I had an inkling he might have wanted more than to just offer me a job... "Please, Casey, you're a loyal kid, I like that. You're smart too. Please don't tell your father I'm going on a date. If I had known he wanted to date me, if it was made clear... I wouldn't be going out tonight. Your dad is... um... sweet?" I try to think of the right word.

"He isn't sweet," Casey looks offended again, "He's a man."

"Ah – yeah, I know, just, don't –" I can't finish because Casey rudely shrugs half way through my pleading and starts walking off, looking over his shoulder at me with intelligent, cheeky eyes.

"If you expect me to lie to my dad, you're wrong!" he calls out to me in a sing-song voice as he goes, leaving me really worried about his intentions and the consequences of everything about to go down.