Ch.20 A Gangster's Bedtime Story

A Gangster's Bedtime Story

Since the very moment I woke up covered in sweat and cleared of the vaccines, I hadn't eaten. The only thing I had consumed all day –after being intercepted at Red Headquarters, then imprisoned, then escaping, then going on a run with the Gang of Shadows straight afterwards – was two shots of alcohol.

Just alcohol, for the whole day.

Surprisingly, I still didn't have an appetite. After seeing Kyle the Child squirm in his slow death and after having James' hands force me over a desk and rip the back of my top open... I was ready to rest.

The Gang of Shadows had just parked at the Black Lair Clubhouse a few minutes ago and now we're making our way down into the bunker through the second lift while I listen to their banter and hang towards the back, behind all four of them.

"...touch my ass again," Jose speaks to Ace in a monotone, "By 'accident'? And let me show you how I crack a pelvic bone."

"No, no," Ace puts up his hands in surrender, "I thought you said 'Ace put your hand on my ass and caress me sweetly'."

"No, I'm pretty sure I said, shut your mouth before I shove a gun down your throat," Jose clenches his fist and I know his patience is about to snap.

"Relax, ladies," Dale intercepts just as the lift stops on the Lounge (L) floor.

"That's right. Relax. Before I plummet this carriage right down to the bottom of this god forsaken bunker and we find out how deep it really goes," Serge grabs both Ace and Jose by the shoulders and shoves them into the lounge.

As they all exit, I follow, barely holding the back of my white tube top together.

And all I can replay in my mind, over and over again as I walk, is Kyle's childish whimpers from a man sized body. James' eyes as they lost their light. The gurgle of the blood flooding his throat and pouring out of his mouth.

The adrenaline had worn off, and although I was excited to be alive... I guess this is that feeling of shock, hitting me, after someone takes a life. Like in all the movies, when people go insane with guilt.

Except I didn't feel guilty.

I felt consumed with confusion and numbness.

"Charge my shots, Sergey boy," Ace hurries behind the self-serving bar to grab a large bottle of whiskey. The lads cheer, including Dale. I choose not to lag behind pitifully. So, I also hurry around the counter, dwarfed by the four overly large men. Larger than most; tall, masculine and with clear alpha genes. The tallest was obviously Dale, but that didn't mean the rest weren't intimidating especially when they all stood so close together.

And Serge's scar... well. The left side of his face was scarred significantly. His light blue hair seemed natural which was even more curious.

I gaze at him now, as I inspect him properly for the first time. My eyes narrow as he takes a bar seat with the others. Ace is pouring drinks and everyone goes a tad quiet as I bounce up right next to him, reaching into the cupboards to search.

"Alyssa," Dale warns me quietly, "...what are you doing?"

"Exploring," I grab a bottle of champagne and stand back up, slowly closing the cupboard, "Comprende?" I pop open the bottle with one nail and the cork goes flying across the room gracefully, "I have nowhere to live... so I'm going to scout out a place to drink myself to unconsciousness and pass out. If anyone has any objections. Call me, leave a voice message. I'll respond... in the morning... maybe... if I'm awake," I start to down the alcohol with fresh gulps as the men watch me with curiously raised brows.